Bottleheadphone Cable

denti alligator · 4379

Offline denti alligator

on: November 13, 2010, 06:43:40 AM
hi,

I'm new here. I want to build a SEX to use with my Sennheiser HD600s. In the description there is mention of Bottleheadphone Cable replacements for the Sennheisers. Where are these available and how much are they? And, most importantly: do they really make a difference? I always thought these kinds of cable upgrades were in the snake-oil category for audiophiles.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:43 AM
The Bottleheadphone Cable was available a few years ago, but I don't remember seeing it after they moved to the new shopping cart. If I remember correctly, it was a Cardas cable with a big ol' Neutrik right-angle 1/4" plug. If these guys don't have them anymore I'm sure the more knowledgeable members of the forum will help you in building your own.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 08:36:58 AM
There was a question about them recently.  Doc referred the poster to who makes them.

Do a search for headphone cables and you will find it.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:19 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I found the info and the cable is over $100, which is a bit much for me, especially if the difference is only minor.
I would like to have a 90 degree angle jack, however. What would it cost to make the cable myself? and how difficult would it be?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:01 AM
I'm sure the cost of materials would be slightly lower than the price of a finished cable. I find that making cables myself is somewhat easy, but making them look good and durable can be a bit more challenging, it all depends on what kind of finish quality you want. A cheap alternative would be to find a nice right angle plug and put it on the stock cable that is the main draw for you.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp