Wierd quickie noise

aragorn723 · 3522

Offline aragorn723

on: November 20, 2020, 11:12:12 AM
I have been chasing hum in my Quickie based stereo for a while now.  The hum is in the right channel, and when I switched the tubes, the hum dramatically reduced.  What would cause that to happen?  I expected to get the same level hum on the other side.  The right channel is by my turntable motor, could that be causing the hum?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:07:09 PM
Well, there isn't a source of 60Hz hum in the Quickie since it's battery powered.  If you think it's picking up TT noise, you could relocate it or the TT.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:30:19 PM
Moved the turntable to the other side of my audio rack, and disconnected it.  Still have the hum.  I'm starting to think it has to do with the tube.  Will have to try another and see if the noise goes away.

Dave

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:37:51 AM
I've had a lot of trouble chasing a strange noise in my Quickie, and it was (as usual) dirt socket!
While swapping tubes (which helps a lot) clean pins and sockets!
Hope it helps.
Ciao!
PS: long live the quickie! 😊

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:45:07 AM
Hey long time no see!  Been running the Quickie since 2014, no plans to stop   8). What are you using to clean the socket?

Dave

Offline Bonzo

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 01:10:03 AM
Hey long time no see!  Been running the Quickie since 2014, no plans to stop   8). What are you using to clean the socket?

Dave

Ciao Dave! I have a plain for a big quickie rebuilt soon, hope to post some pics.
I have used a standard dry contact cleaner for the sockets and for the pins. The latter also rubbed with a clean cloth.
Some more contact cleaner and repeated plug/unplug of the tubes did the final trick.
At the moment I made two quickie: the standard one (rebuilt with 3 inputs) and the "no gain" version published here.
I've also build the original PJCCS as per PJ old scheme on AudioAsylum (here in attachement, please note that the capacitor should go around the resistor and diode)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:11:38 AM by Bonzo »

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:33 AM
Is it ok to use a wet cleaner for the socket pins?  Got some of that laying around the house.

What are your build plans?  Looking forward to seeing another Quickie :)

Btw, you were on a quest to find the best tube for the Quickie for a while.  What did you settle on?

Dave

Offline Bonzo

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 03:52:21 AM
Only dry cleaner allowed (shorting is always a danger).

About tubes I settled on Philips, really love them, but still curious to experiment. I still have to try 1L33, too lazy to insert the switch :-). I also like the 3Q5GT, too bad they are hard to find on ebay now...

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 04:22:04 AM
I always used the spray de-oxit, just give it a bit of time to evaporate after before powering on and your good to go.

If you really want to play with the quickie and make it sing, build a high voltage version ;)      My quickie headphone amp has a gas tube regulated B+ supply, CCS plate loads with about 60v on the plates, and regulated filament supplies.  Daft i know for two little pip squeak battery tubes, but i just adore the sound of them.  All the DHT goodness in a small but mighty package.

M.McCandless

Offline Bonzo

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 05:47:10 AM
If you really want to play with the quickie and make it sing, build a high voltage version ;)      My quickie headphone amp has a gas tube regulated B+ supply, CCS plate loads with about 60v on the plates, and regulated filament supplies.  Daft i know for two little pip squeak battery tubes, but i just adore the sound of them.  All the DHT goodness in a small but mighty package.

I think your scheme is still on the forum, isn't it?
I have always been tempted to buy one with DC-DC converters...

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 07:03:34 AM
I always used the spray de-oxit, just give it a bit of time to evaporate after before powering on and your good to go.

Building a power supply is out of my league.

Dave

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 01:14:05 PM
I think your scheme is still on the forum, isn't it?
I have always been tempted to buy one with DC-DC converters...

I think the entire thread got lost as it was in the gallery section.  I am not the best at writing down the fine details so would have to figure out exactly what all i did.

M.McCandless