MonAmour Vertical mount

hitmanray · 2359

Offline hitmanray

on: December 28, 2020, 11:50:28 AM
Evening All

Looking for some ideas or inspiration. I am in the process of installing a murphy bed into the room that will double as my listening room. I have been taking care to integrate the audio gear into the furniture build process.

The MonAmour amps are going to get a dedicated shelf on the cabinets beside the murphy bed. I figured by putting them up high they will be safely out of harms way and as far removed as possible from some of the other potential interference creators. What I would like to do is mount the amp plates in the vertical plane so that I can see the amps in all their glory.

There is a good amount of space around the amps so I think as long as any new stand is well designed then ventilation shouldn't be an issue.

I'm generally fairly creative and not bad at solving these types of issues but I am drawing a bit of a blank here on how to tackle this. There is a lot of weight to be managed on the front of the plate. I've gone from just a large lump of wood with a channel cut in it to stand the plate in and hope the weight will be managed, to trying to design (in my head) a whole new box that will hold the plate and protect the rear from misplaced digits, but still allow access if required.

Any thoughts or ideas, or similar concepts you can point me in the direction of for inspiration, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:26:58 PM
The big issue with mounting the plates vertically is that the filaments inside the tube need to be suspended in a certain orientation.  Back in the day, all those UX4 based tubes had the filaments hung in a certain way with respect to the base pins to ensure that this was possible, but I have noticed in recent years that new production tubes don't necessarily adhere to this particular standard. 

You could have a pair of mirrors made to go above the amps in those cabinets...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hitmanray

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:10:18 AM
Boy am I glad I reached out. Never even considered that the tubes may not want to be mounted in a different direction.

I also like the mirror idea. Maybe will have to have a go with that. Certainly will be a lot simpler.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 11:24:35 AM
PB is the expert here but I like your idea. I had a Fi X once and loved the horizontal tubes. I asked Don about it once years ago and while filaments can sag he didn’t have a problem with it. In my case, the 2A3’s I was using didn’t follow the guide pin like PB described. I had a couple of UX4 sockets made that shift the pins 90 degrees allowing for the proper orientation of tube. This fixed the problem with the EH tubes I was using at the time. I replaced those with EML’s and they do follow the proper pin alignment. You can make this work if you want to put a little effort into it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:32:28 AM
You can make this work if you want to put a little lot of effort into it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man