Another BeePre 2 with Hum

ScottAstroNut · 3383

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #45 on: February 19, 2021, 02:32:42 PM
Oh, right about removing the cap from the circuit to test it. Given the lateness of the hour here and the fact that I am tired, I think I will leave that for tomorrow.

The caps are of exceptional quality, and they worked just fine before, so they weren't dead on arrival.

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: February 19, 2021, 08:36:52 PM
When you get the replacement resistor, can you remove the 22 ohm resistor with the parts installed on it and try putting it between 33L and 35L?

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #47 on: February 19, 2021, 09:57:41 PM
Sure. No problem.

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #48 on: February 21, 2021, 04:05:11 AM
I think I found it! The reason for the blown resistor, that is. Upon careful inspection of the HV supply, I found a solder run that looks like it shorts one of the 270 ohm resistors to ground. It looks to me like the excess solder barely touches the chassis, so that if the chassis were placed right side up, gravity might very well pull the assembly down enough that the solder run doesn't short. Upon inverting the chassis plate, gravity pulls the solder run to the chassis and a short occurs. This must have occurred when I re-flowed all the solder joints in the high voltage supply, and simply didn't catch this bad joint. Dolt!

I have also made the change Paul suggested of moving the 22 ohm resistor to terminals 33 and 35. We shall see what happens once I get a replacement 270 ohm resistor.

I haven't received a reply for a parts request I sent to [email protected], so have gone ahead and ordered parts from Mouser.

Scott

Scott Burgess

Deke609

Reply #49 on: February 21, 2021, 05:50:03 AM
... so have gone ahead and ordered parts from Mouser.

Scott - Mouser is way behind on orders b/c of the Texas storm. I have an order from Feb 12 that still hasn't shipped, and two more in queue that haven't even been processed yet. If you want something fairly quickly, I suggest a local electronics hobbyist store. Or Digi-Key.  And then cancel the Mouser order.

And congrats on potentially having found the cause of the problem.

cheers, Derek

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #50 on: February 21, 2021, 06:57:12 AM
In your photo I see UF4007 leads that look like they will short out the two power transformer terminals.  I would provide some separation for those while you're waiting.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #51 on: February 21, 2021, 11:39:13 AM
I think that the diode leads looking to be too close together may be a perspective thing with the photo. Here's a photo from the other side showing that the leads are not near each other and are constrained well enough, I think, that there is no chance of them touching. Please let me know if this looks OK. If not, then I will definitely make adjustments. Thanks!

Scott Burgess

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #52 on: February 21, 2021, 11:46:23 AM
Derek, thanks for the heads-up on Mouser. I've gone ahead and placed an order with Digi-Key for the parts.

Scott Burgess

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #53 on: February 21, 2021, 11:52:06 AM
I have a question on how to proceed once I get the replacement 270 ohm wire wound resistor...

Once I have the part in hand, do you recommend that I simply insert the new resistor and "give it a go?" Or, do you think a more deliberate approach would be better? For example, should I disconnect the UF4007 diodes from the transformer, then test the transformer output to make sure it is OK. Then, reattach the diodes, but disconnect the HV leads to the rest of the circuit and test the output of the HV supply before attaching the rest of the circuit? This latter approach seems safer to me, but more work. I love soldering parts. I am not so fond of de-soldering!

Scott Burgess

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #54 on: February 21, 2021, 11:52:58 AM
That's some good photo work, those look great.

You will need to put the 270 ohm resistor back in place and fire the BeePre back up. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #55 on: February 26, 2021, 08:39:26 PM
Well, the BeePre 2 is back up and running. I replaced the 270 ohm resistor in the HV power supply after fixing the other minor issues and sweet music is playing again. Unfortunately,  the hum/buzz issue is still present. I think it is slightly lessened by having moved the 22 ohm wire wound resistor to its new location as requested, but it is still there. Slightly, but still audible at normal listening levels through headphones using my S.E.X. 3.0 as the headphone amp. I wouldn't be too concerned about this issue except that my Moreplay, when used in the same location, is extremely quiet. I am pretty sure at this point that the BeePre 2 is correctly constructed. Also, it doesn't seem to matter which headphones I am using, from 32 ohm Grado PS 500e's to 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880's.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Again, this is a non-issue when listening with speakers. Thanks.

Scott Burgess

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:25 PM
On a positive note, I do have to say that the overall sound quality of the BeePre 2 is outstanding.  Very sweet and musical while also possessing amazing clarity and resolution. Makes me wonder what improvements I might hear if using a Mainline instead of the S.E.X.?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:46:35 PM by ScottAstroNut »

Scott Burgess

Offline Alby0521

Reply #57 on: February 27, 2021, 05:40:51 AM
I did the changes suggested by Paul and I found myself in your same situation. Hum still there but to a slightly less extent.
I shipped the beepre2 to Paul yesterday. Hopefully he can find the problem.

Best

AB

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #58 on: February 27, 2021, 06:16:16 AM
It's somewhat possible that the BeePre just isn't suitable to sit in front of a headphone amp.  It would not surprise me at all seeing that you have Grado headphones in your lineup which are incredibly sensitive. 

Yes, a Moreplay will have a lower noise floor since the 6V6 is an indirectly heated tube. 

If you use the BeePre as a preamp in front of a power amp driving speakers, how well does that work?

The upcoming upgrades will drop the noise floor a bit more as well. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Online ScottAstroNut

Reply #59 on: February 27, 2021, 06:25:19 AM
Paul, the BeePre 2 sits in front of my Kaiju just fine. No hum at normal listening volumes. Sounds great.

Too bad to hear that the BeePre won't work with a headphone amp. I listen to headphones much more often than I listen to speakers. Guess I'll keep using my Moreplay.

Thanks for all your help.

Scott Burgess