BeePre 2.0 Manual Errata

Paul Birkeland · 5055

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
on: February 20, 2021, 02:49:13 PM
I made a mistake in the BeePre 2.0 manual build and recommend applying the following correction:

For the 22 ohm 5W resistor with the UF4007 diodes and 0.1uF Z5U cap, those parts should be installed between 33L and 35L.  These directions are provided on page 33, and you can attach and solder these parts to 35L, then attach the other end to 33L and continue with the build.  These parts will work better if the resistor lead at 33L doesn't touch the shaft of the screw holding down the terminal strip.

We will work on updating the manual for future orders shortly.  The 12-22-20 version of the manual contains this error.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 10:05:02 AM
Hello,

Was this error ever corrected in the manual? I purchased a BeePre kit around two weeks ago and would like to take account for this change if it is still in my directions.

Best!
AnS

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:06:42 AM
Yes, this was corrected.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 06:42:48 AM
Thanks!

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 08:36:32 AM
The 02-28-21 manual I have says: "Keeping its body centered between the terminal strips, attach one lead of the prepared 22Ω 5W wirewound resistor to 35L. Attach the other lead to 33L. Solder 32L."

I assume – ignore the "solder 32L" instruction?
Can you PM me your e-mail address and I can send you a link for the updated manual?  There's a rather important update that's not present in your manual regarding this part of the build.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Suger

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 11:25:05 PM
Hi.

Is it me (it usually is, but there is no soldering involved here, so I'm not sure), or is something missing after p. 57 of the 05-24-21 version of the manual? The page ends with
"Because this manual had the voltages confirmed during the build process, there are is no final voltage check. Your amplifier is ready to use once the hum has been minimized following the instructions on the next page. Should you experience difficulties, please request assistance by posting in the BeePre section of the Bottlehead forum."

But the next page is a photo of the completed assembly, and after that come the usual general troubleshooting tips (my kit is still with USPS, so can't know if I have any hum problems, although I guess I might have to follow the instructions here https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=13332.0 for my Klipsch RF-35).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 10:21:44 AM
You are correct that there are no hum adjustments in the BeePre.  I did make one early prototype of the 2.0 with hum pots but they had no audible effect on the noise floor.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Suger

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 12:52:07 AM
Thanks!

Offline Jay

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 07:38:36 AM
If I may be so bold as to suggest an addition to the BeePre2 manual, it might be good to add something like "make sure that the leads protruding from 31L and 33L do not touch the top plate of the preamp during the high voltage power supply test"
Respectfully submitted
Jay

Jay L.