Jarring sound & clarity lost

Gobes · 2112

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 01:11:36 PM
Did you recheck the voltages and note any that were off from the numbers in the manual? That will help give us some idea of what is going on.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 01:12:17 PM
Why did you mount the power transformer on the bottom of the amp?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Gobes

Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 01:21:59 PM
Thank you Doc and Paul, the voltage were in range as per the manual when checked yesterday to see if there were any cold solders.
With respect to the power transformers, given there were connections from and to the transformer to the other part of the amp my understanding was that it would be at the bottom.  I was also initially confused, but I re checked the manual and I was under the impression that it should be at the bottom. Unless you think this is a big mistake?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 01:56:11 PM
Yes, that's a giant mistake. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Gobes

Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 04:06:56 PM
"Oh Well"- I guess i either would need to fix that. Do you happen to have any picture i could follow as i am still couple of things. I did check out the manual but still unclear. Thank you again Paul.

Offline oguinn

Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 03:40:36 AM
You’d have to remove all the connections going to the power transformer (the one in the middle), then unattach it from the chassis. Then you should follow the instructions for the order of screws, star washers, shoulder washers, and the bell housing in the manual, but the power transformer will sit on your bench on top of the bell housing with the mounting screws already inserted, then you’ll place the amp face down on top of those screws. Make sure you have the terminals oriented the way the manual indicates.

You do have connections to make underneath but there will be plenty of room in the cutout provided.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 03:52:41 AM
FYI - One of those electrolytic capacitors is about to let go, top of it has started to swell out.  I would'nt attempt to power the amplifier up again until you have moved the transformer and run through all the resistance checks in the assembly manual as something isnt right.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 04:45:49 AM
"Oh Well"- I guess i either would need to fix that. Do you happen to have any picture i could follow as i am still couple of things. I did check out the manual but still unclear.
The manual is abundantly clear on how this is supposed to be done.  We have been using the same set of power transformer mounting instructions for about 15 years and this isn't something that has ever happened.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Gobes

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 04:55:47 AM
Yes Of course. It is "ME" who dint get this right... LOL... Of course it was my first time... Paul, Anyway I can send this to you guys to help me fix this at this point. I am happy to pay the required fee..Totally loved the experience, but definitely, not my strength and of course love the Amplifier and do not want to further mess it up. Truly respect and appreciate your help!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 04:58:36 AM
I think you could get it built properly and I would encourage you to give it another shot!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Gobes

Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 05:46:27 AM
Thank you Paul. I appreciate kind your words. I think i must have put in around 65 hours (LOL) which i am sure will take you 6 hours to build this whole thing. I would truly respect the fact if you can help me and let me know how i could ship this out and i will be happy to pay the service fee. Again, just doing this exercise has given me a lot of perspective of what goes in to build an amp and the components involve experience has been absolutely wonderful.
Thank you again!

Deke609

Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 06:52:03 AM
Before you pull the trigger on sending it in for repair, I'll mention that a lot of folks seem not to know that the photos in the BH pdf manuals are very high resolution and can be expanded to fit your entire computer screen (e.g., using the magnifying glass symbol in Adobe Acrobat Reader).  This gives you a very clear and detailed photo of every installation step.  If you simply printed the manual and worked from the printed copy, you might want to explore this.

cheers, Derek

Offline Gobes

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 07:15:16 AM
Thank you Deke609. I appreciate your input.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 07:16:46 AM
let me know how i could ship this out and i will be happy to pay the service fee.
The cost of doing this is very high.  It would take me some hours to carefully disassemble what you have, then I would have to start from scratch and build a fresh kit with fresh parts.  This would well exceed the cost of a completely new SEX kit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Gobes

Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 07:48:47 AM
Paul, thank you. Let me ask with respect to the the amp built and the instruction (for which I have taken a picture), can you help pin point where exactly the issue is? That would help me a lot. Does the Power Transformer  need to be installed from the top of the chasis?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:10:42 AM by Gobes »