Jarring sound & clarity lost

Gobes · 2111

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 08:24:34 AM
Yes it installed on top of the chassis plate. re read pages 16,17 and 18 of the manual.

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 08:32:08 AM
You can look at the product shot on this page to see how the power transformer should be installed -

https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-0-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

That photo is also on the first page of your assembly manual.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 04:20:31 PM
Is that power transformer installed on the top or the bottom of the chassis?

The power transformer mounting instructions start on page 16.  You need to follow these, not eyeball a photo later in the manual to determine what you're supposed to do.  If you followed just the first two steps on mounting the power transformer, it wouldn't have been possible to mount it on the bottom of the chassis.

I see similar mistakes in your build with how you have the plate chokes mounted.

I would suggest rebuilding the amp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Gobes

Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 11:55:23 AM
Hi Paul/Doc

Thank you for your input. I spent the whole day today pretty much rebuilding the whole amp. I also checked every single step from the beginning. Attached are the pictures and the .wav file. The volume was at 50%-60* of the max volume. Please let me know your thoughts..  I still seem to get the jarring/cracking noise. To make sure there was no headphone issue i recorded this on a HiFi Sundara which was different compared to the last time which was on HD6XX

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ur3qcrx6fjo7eaf/AADyc59tVbtovaCrC8AuEHOma?dl=0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:58:18 PM by Gobes »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 01:42:15 PM
There is a maximum power that headphones can handle and a maximum output level thereabouts.  If you need really loud listening levels, you might want to look into some Grado headphones.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Gobes

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 10:08:47 AM
Paul, thank you. I went back and measured, I am starting to hear the cracking noise starting at 30% of the volume. I'm just reporting what I am hearing and I'm sure you guys are amazing and will be able to help me out. At the end of the day the product is amazing and sometimes things go wrong and thats why I appreciate all your help here..As mentioned yesterday, I went through and did a whole rebuild  as well.

Offline barbz

Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 11:30:08 AM
Is that the volume of your dac or volume of the amp?

If it's the volume of your dac what volume is your amp set too?