Bottlehead YouTube channel

Doc B. · 7997

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: March 21, 2021, 09:19:49 AM
We're working on some new videos that demonstrate some tips and tricks for building Bottlehead kits. To simplify finding this stuff I have finally gotten off my butt and created the Bottlehead YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbC3oem8P8u8hD_JCo4MNxg

For starters I have simply reloaded some old existing videos that were scattered about for the past few years on my personal channels. New content is coming soon, possibly later this week.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:13:35 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 10:49:29 AM
Nice! Looking forward to it!

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:23:33 AM
Very nice. I know that for me YouTube has become very helpful and this sounds like another great site. I have already subscribed to it.

Maybe you should pin discussion so it stays at the top.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 05:46:55 AM
I'll pin it when we add the new content. It will be more in depth, longer. Editing is coming along nicely and will be wrapped up soon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 01:47:22 PM

New videos landing this week! How to assemble, stain and finish your wood base. How to paint your chassis panel and transformer bell.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 04:04:31 PM
Great knowledge sharing. I have no doubt that this will help newbies and old farts like me alike.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 04:22:07 PM
Bad ass doctor I'm nervous to make an appointment!

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 04:49:45 AM
First new video of our The Doctor Is In series is up on our YouTube channel! I demonstrate some really simple wood base assembly and finishing techniques that have a high probability of success. Thanks to Ben Rupp for the excellent video production and Art Khu for the excellent music -

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:51:17 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 08:59:18 AM
Episode two of The Doctor Is In is now live. In this one I show you how the prep and paint a chassis panel and transformer cover.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 09:09:45 AM
These are really great, nice work Doc.

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words. It's easy for me to look at them and think "man, I could have shown a lacquer finish, layering different stains, polishing and bluing the bell, powder coat, etc.". But since most of our customers are just getting into this DIY world I am trying to convey really simple ways to get great looking results. Hopefully this will be useful. Maybe down the road I can do some more advanced finishes, too.

I'm compiling a list of ideas for more videos. I'll tackle a few known sticking points like we have done in the past with the short videos about soldering a power switch, assembling a heat sink, etc. At some point I will do a full kit build or two, once we figure out a way to do it without putting everyone to sleep. If anyone has some suggestions for other videos (aside from "a detailed course on designing tube amps") please post them here.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 11:01:54 AM
Nice videos Doc. How about a proper soldering video as it seems like 90% of faults are solder related. The section at the end of your manuals is good but I wonder how many people read it. I have thought that perhaps that section should be in front of the instructions.
Just spitballing here.

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 11:06:19 AM
As PB says, "yeah, there's only 68K how to solder videos on youtube".  ;) But I hear you. One that deals specifically with soldering our kits could be very useful and is in the plans.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 11:18:07 AM
If people watch a vid about wrapping the wire around the term. to get a nice fillet, and trimming excess leads and account for those clipped schniblings that can get you later on, perhaps PB's sanity can be exploited much more to your benefit.

Lee R.

Deke609

Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 11:32:42 AM
+1 for a how-to soldering video showing how to crimp, solder and trim. I would suggest using as examples the Crack ground connections at the headphone jack and the nearby center lug of the 5 terminal strip -- those seem to be common culprits.

Related idea: solder a Crack using way too little heat and crappy mechanical connections. Then show the test results (wrongs resistances/voltages). Then properly attach reflow all joints, and show perfect test measurements.  And give it a listen with a satisfied smile on your face. Obviously not all in real time.

This might go a good way towards convincing people of the benefits of simply reflowing all connections in a non-working amp rather than spending 10X the time looking for the particular joint(s) causing the problem.

cheers, Derek