Bottlehead YouTube channel

Doc B. · 7996

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 11:35:37 AM
I agree with a how to solder video, seen so many on Youtube that are a train wreck, at least if you did one people would know they could trust it.   Also keep in mind, it may help overcome the barrier many people have towards building their own amplifier, show them its really not that difficult.

I would need to check, but i recall the manual does have a section on wrapping wires around before soldering, i.e. good mechanical contact first.

On the other extreme i had to work on my TV-7 tube tester recently, i don't know what mil soldering standard they used but i swear they wrapped leads around terminals three times then tied them in a knot before soldering, add to that a layer of anti fungal coating and the damn thing was almost impossible to get apart.

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:45 AM
Yup, mil spec wiring was pretty hardcore back then. And I was told by my mentor John "Buddha" Camille that it was almost all done by women. He often expressed that women are much more adept at soldering than men. Which has me recalling a tour I was given of Meyer Sound several years ago in which the majority of the workforce at the speaker cone and electronics assembly benches were indeed women.

While our kits are not set up for that style of wiring it might be interesting to attempt the old trick of having to wire one all up mil spec style without solder and demonstrate that it works. I'll give that one some thought.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline joralieu

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 05:55:04 PM
Where can I get the lighted magnifying glasses in the video? 
I need these.
Thanks
Joe

Offline jonathan.lesser

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 01:14:57 AM
I would just like to chime in and mention with some others that I find these videos extremely helpful. I haven’t yet received my main line kit but I’m gathering resources and planning things and I have watched all these videos avidly. Looking forward to more.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 12:59:21 PM
Just a heads up that Ben Rupp will be coming over to shoot a new video this week. Meantime I am digging around the studio for all of my soldering gear...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: December 16, 2021, 08:26:58 AM
The long awaited soldering video is up on our YouTube channel! Thanks to Ben Rupp of MKHMFG for his usual top notch job shooting and editing this vid.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2021, 08:28:52 AM
Forty minutes of soldering lessons! Holy hell! Very generous use of your time.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #22 on: December 26, 2021, 01:37:35 PM
Great stuff, Doc!  I wish something like that existed about 20 years ago when I started building in earnest.   I've only recently purchased nicer wire strippers and a good soldering station now that I've completed a ton of projects.  :-[

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline SteveLuck

Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 10:01:47 AM
Would love a quick flypast of some of the products- quite keen to build a pair of monamours but the photos on the product page are a bit dark and I cant get them full size.  Quick video no sound required would be nice.

Offline Mucker

Reply #24 on: December 29, 2021, 11:06:31 AM
Love the beginning of these videos, really slick production. Great tutorial too. Usual Bottlehead high standard of quality!

Offline bluelair

Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 09:11:00 AM
Test