My Tang Band W8-1772 Build

JimOfOakCreek · 28541

Offline JimOfOakCreek

on: December 08, 2010, 09:51:13 AM
I am the process of completing a Full Range speaker project using the Tang Band W8-1772. I haven't installed the port tubes yet but the bass response is already impressive. Using test tones from Bass Mekaniks I am able to get down to 44hz with no port tube! The speaker has a rising top end response which needs to be tamed with a simple BSC circuit. They are quite bright straight out of the box. It's amazing that an 8" full range speaker can have such a strong treble response. Imaging and detail is excellent. Efficeincy is rated at 95db/1w. I highly recommend this driver to any potential DIY enthusiast.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:53:35 AM by JimOfOakCreek »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:07:25 AM
Jim,

Very nice work!  I have heard a number of speakers using the Tang Band drivers (designed by Jim Griffin) but they were not this sensitive.  The bass was beyond impressive for the driver sizes I heard.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:00:07 PM
Funny, I was just looking at those drivers.

Those look real nice...John

John Scanlon

Offline Thoburn

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:00:23 PM
Nice. I love building speakers. I seem to frequently find myself wondering about my next build.

What plans did you use? Is it a bass reflex or maybe a transmission line? Just for the fun of it, try listening to them without a BSC by taming the raising high frequency by not listening on axis. I am using a Lowther DX4 8 inch driver in a back loaded horn. I have also had them in a mass loaded transmission line design using a BSC that was made with high quality components. I prefer the horn cabinet without any BSC.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline mp9

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:01:17 PM
They look nice, so why did you choose the W8-1772 over a W8-1808 for the type of enclosure you're doing?

Offline JimOfOakCreek

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:46:14 PM
They look nice, so why did you choose the W8-1772 over a W8-1808 for the type of enclosure you're doing?

The 1772 works well in a smaller box than the 1808 requires. My goal was to build a conservative appearing speaker with a high WAF.

Offline JimOfOakCreek

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:49:55 PM
What plans did you use? Is it a bass reflex or maybe a transmission line? Just for the fun of it, try listening to them without a BSC by taming the raising high frequency by not listening on axis. I am using a Lowther DX4 8 inch driver in a back loaded horn. I have also had them in a mass loaded transmission line design using a BSC that was made with high quality components. I prefer the horn cabinet without any BSC.

It's a bass reflex design. My design is based on design recommendations from posts by Bob Brines. He recommended a BR 40L box with a 3"X6" port.

Offline JimOfOakCreek

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:09:23 PM
I prefer the horn cabinet without any BSC.

You've got me thinking. The whole point of FR speakers and SET amps is 'simpler is better' - 'less is better than more'.

I love the dtail I am currently hearing. I am going to try listening off axis with no BSC.

I like your idea. Thanks.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:24:05 AM
I have been looking at these Tang Band as well.

Any thought on doing a passive line level BSC between pre and amp ala Sexy speaker? 

Kevin R-M

Offline JimOfOakCreek

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:03:50 AM
I have been looking at these Tang Band as well.

Any thought on doing a passive line level BSC between pre and amp ala Sexy speaker? 

Yes, I've been considering that approach as well. That makes a lot of sense in that it keeps the electronic voicing confined to the electronic amplification system. I also like the idea of having the BSC outside the enclosure whether it's between pre and amp or a 'conventional' BSC.

However, at the moment I've become enthusiastic with alternative/simpler approaches to voicing the speakers without circuitry. It fits my newly adopted audio philosophy of less circuitry is better than more.

Out of the box the W8-1772 have a rising top end. This is actually a good thing because it's easy to deal with. It's better to have too strong a high end than no high end. You can deal with a strong high end through various means.

These are very bright speakers on-axis with no BSC. I am amazed that simply listening to my speakers off axis solves the brightness iscue with no circuitry. The detail is amazing without being grating.  I'm going to audition that approach for a few weeks.

Offline howardnair

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:59 AM
jim --very nice -owning 4 pairs of speakers --3 are diy-jericho horn--a electrovoice baronet--both employing the fostex 208 ES -and ribbon tweeters--the 3rd are 4 ft monsters using 15inch and 12 inch EV and coral full range speakers with also a ribbon tweeter--love full range speakers  --no crossover except for the tweeter--i tried with and with out crossover- prefer without-now you have me thinking about doing something with the tangband---somebody tell me what is a BSC--i suspect it is a crossover

Offline JimOfOakCreek

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:58 AM
what is a BSC--i suspect it is a crossover

BSC = Baffle Step Correction. It's a circuit between the amp and the speaker that corrects for the beaming of mid-high frequencies off the speaker baffle. The baffle acts like a reflector which focuses those frequencies forward. Low frequencies are omni-directional and do not get beamed.

The effect increases mid-high frequencies about 3db or more.

A Baffle Step Compensation circuit reducies those frequencies by 3db or more. It is usually incorporated in the crossover circuit with a typical 2 or 3 way speaker.

You can use that same circuit to tame a bright speaker.

A better explaination and a calculator can be found here:http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Baffle-Step-Correction-Circuit-Calculator/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:43:49 AM by JimOfOakCreek »

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:51 PM
Just curious, what difference does it make when you rotate the speakers in rather than out?

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:12 PM
Just curious, what difference does it make when you rotate the speakers in rather than out?
In theory - :^) - it compensates for off-center listening. When you move to one side, the nearer speaker takes precedence due to earlier arrival, but you are more on-axis with the far one so it takes precedence due to being louder in the treble. With luck those effects cancel out. (Without luck, they just confuse your ears!)

Paul Joppa

Offline JimOfOakCreek

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:59 PM

If you sit in the middle, toeing the speakers inward will beam the treble directly toward your ears.