Mourquiet upgrade: impressions?

denti alligator · 2443

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 10:40:41 AM
You can play a 60Hz tone into the inputs of your amp, then measure the AC voltages at the speaker posts (you can leave the speakers hooked up) at a normal listening level to see if the outputs are playing at the same level or if you're correcting for some other imbalance that isn't electrical.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 10:51:09 AM
You can play a 60Hz tone into the inputs of your amp, then measure the AC voltages at the speaker posts (you can leave the speakers hooked up) at a normal listening level to see if the outputs are playing at the same level or if you're correcting for some other imbalance that isn't electrical.
OK, I’ll try this and report back. Thanks.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
As a general rule pot tend to track better at higher settings. Do you notice this?

Something you can try, with the amp switched off compare the resistance from one channel to the other at a few different pot settings. You would be looking for significant difference in one channel at a few settings..John
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:09:33 PM by 2wo »

John Scanlon

Offline johnsonad

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 03:32:15 AM
Sam, you can experiment with the technique that PB recommended.  I do this for setting up my system.  Try it a different volumes. Put on something that you enjoy to listen to at a low volume, then switch to the 60Hz tone and measure the voltage.  Move on to music that you like at higher volumes and repeat.  This will help to set you preferred listening levels. 

Aaron Johnson