Eros 2 questions [resolved]

tmills · 3775

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 12:19:02 PM
If you play a record, is this noise super present?  If you cable up an Eros to a turntable and crack your preamp up all the way, you'd probably hear some hum, but you'd never listen at this level, so it's a good idea to be sure that isn't what's going on.

Beyond that, the Rega TTs send the earth connection down one of the RCA cables and combine it with signal ground.  This should work just fine with the Eros and only will cause potential problems with a moving coil cartridge and step-up transformers. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tmills

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 12:31:07 PM
I can't play a record because the hum is super present. That is all you hear. It isn't noise or a hiss. It is 60hz hum and the more level I give the preamp the louder it gets. This is disappointing. I will figure it out. I have been working all day on it and I think I need to just walk away for a bit.

Thanks for your help'

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 01:40:22 PM
Yes, I would take a break. If you have a phone with a headphone jack, you can turn the phone all the way down, then up one click, then use that to feed signal into the Eros to be sure it's all working properly.

Hum issues like this are grounding related, and they are generally pretty simple but they can be tough to find. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tmills

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 01:48:01 PM
I played a record again just to see what would happen. It turns out that the hum is in the right channel only. The left channel is fine. It was just so loud I assumed it was coming from both channels. I will retest tomorrow and check all wiring in the right channel.
I would think it would be on the input side since there is no hum when the input is not connected. It sounded good on the left channel although I couldn't turn it up very loud.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 02:32:01 PM
What happens with the Eros if you only have the left channel plugged in from the TT?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tmills

Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 12:28:16 PM
If I just have the left channel hooked up the Eros plays fine on the left channel with no hum. I switched tubes to see if I had a bad tube. I don't. I will just have to go through all the wiring on the right channel to find the source of the hum. I will have to wait until next weekend to sort this out.

Thanks again for your help Paul.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 01:42:47 PM
How about if you plug just the left RCA into the right channel?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tmills

Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 01:28:20 PM
After a lengthy inspection, I found another loose connection. That is two newbie mistakes. Now the Eros is firing on all cylinders and it sounds amazing!!!
It will just get better as it runs in and those big Mundorf Supreme silver/oil caps burn in.
Thank you Paul for all your help. This is a solid bit of kit but it takes some time and patience to avoid the mistakes that I made.

Todd

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 01:37:43 PM
Waiting a day or two and having a second look is a very good way to approach these kinds of problems.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tmills

Reply #24 on: October 03, 2021, 06:16:40 AM
Here are some pics of the unit. It sounds really good and will only get better as the caps burn in. The finish is straight out of the videos with black hammertone and high gloss clear coat on the alder. The mods were the resistors suggested by Paul and the Mundorf 1.5uf Mcap Supreme Silver and oil caps which just fit. The leads on the Mundorfs were too thick so I had to solder them on the upper tab instead of the lower tab. Other than that it is pretty much straight from the manual.

Offline tmills

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2021, 11:20:11 AM
Just put together the Bottlehead power cord kit. My Eros is still burning in but the new power cord seems to make certain things a little clearer. Especially drum hits, cymbals etc.
Nice cord. Recommended.

Offline tmills

Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 12:11:41 PM
Hey Guys

Looking for some advice on purchasing some serious tubes for the Eros 2. Want to spend between $400 - $500. Listen to mostly rock music and like a warmish tone. Some of these new pressings are pretty bright sounding.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

Offline maryc27182

Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 04:11:33 PM
I am using GEC CV4085 (the military version of the Genalex Z729) and a USN-CEP Amperex 7308.

I had better luck finding somewhat reasonable prices for the GEC CV4085 from sellers in the UK (ValveTubes worked well for me--I did not spend anywhere near $200 per tube, but I bought mine over 5 years ago) and I got the 7308 from a guy in Southern California who sells on USAudiomart.

Tubemonger sometimes has the flying leads version of the CV4085, which they fit onto bakelite bases, but I think they have been out of stock for a while. When they are in stock, they are relatively reasonable in price.

Mary

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline Larpy

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2022, 09:20:29 AM
I use the Mullard CV4085 tubes from Tubemonger that Mary mentioned.  I also have a pair of Mazda (France) EF86 tubes that sound warmish.  I've liked all the Philips family of tubes (Mullard, Bugle Boy, Mazda) I've tried.  The Valvo EF86 sounds very clear but also bright, so I'd stay away from them.

Telefunkens might strain your budget, but they're said to be excellent.  Tubemonger had some last I was on their site.

for the 6922 slot, I'm happy with a Amperex Holland 7308.  I haven't heard them, but I bet the Mullard CV4109 that Tubemonger sells is worth considering.

Larry

Offline tmills

Reply #29 on: July 18, 2022, 09:56:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will check into all suggested and let you know which ones I went with.