Ripping vinyl

oguinn · 958

Offline oguinn

on: July 25, 2021, 09:26:23 AM
I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to rip some records I can’t get through streaming services. My current setup is turntable > Eros 2 > Scarlett. I assume this is the preferred setup and not, say, having the Scarlett sit after the BeePre or something. Is that correct? I’d try it out but it’d require a lot of reconfiguration so I figured I’d ask.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 11:12:30 AM
Unless the input impedance of the Scarlett is really low, this should work just fine. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:35:25 AM
Cool, thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:15:40 PM
Let us know how this works!

Aaron Johnson

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 04:49:20 PM
Worked pretty well! I need to check my turntable adjustments after I set it back up for the first time in a while (the VTA was way off, and I have a new force gauge coming tomorrow). Probably a good time to start making my way through the collection with some record cleaner, too.

The first record I did this with was a compilation of lo-fi sources, so there was a lot of noise right off the bat. I checked another record and everything seemed ok there. I recorded using Adobe Audition (I’m a company man). I normalized the tracks after recording and split them into individual tracks. They all sound pretty great!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Mucker

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 02:10:15 AM
Nice work!

I use a Tascam DR-40 for ripping vinyl to 24/96 FLAC. It's super easy to setup and use; the quality is nothing short of excellent. You can find them used on eBay for $75.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 06:43:28 AM
I think Reaper still does free evaluation copies maybe. It's got a bit of a learning curve but it does a very nice sounding capture.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:07:17 AM
I'll check that out. Thanks, Doc.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:22 AM
I should have been a little more forthcoming to point out that it is DAW software and not just a ripping app. So it does take some time to figure out. But I think you might like the sound.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 03:55:54 PM
I use a Focusrite as the interface between my phono pre and my computer.  Then I use Vinyl Studio software to do the capture.  I think a license cost $50.  It has nice tools to clean up clicks and pops, or you can leave them all in.  You add track names automatically with a database lookup.  You can easily set original sample rates as well as output file data format and bit rate.

I also cleaned all of my vinyl before recording.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:58:45 PM by EricS »

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline Phippers

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 02:53:35 AM
Probably a good time to start making my way through the collection with some record cleaner, too.

Hi Jameson,

I can't recommend this highly enough.

Some years ago I used to do CD pre-mastering, and quite often - more often than one might imagine - the only available source material was a vinyl, often the artist's own copy, due to the record company having thrown the master tape away.

I used to find that cleaning the vinyl before transfer made a huge difference and removed most of the clicks, pops and other assorted nasties - resulting in a much cleaner digital source to work from, and much less work to do in the digital domain (de-cracking, de-clicking etc)

Hope your project goes well.

Paul.

Paul Phippin