Paramore no more

Ivan303 · 2094

Offline Ivan303

on: August 01, 2021, 02:40:54 PM
 Up and running and no smoke!

Running the MonAmour on the right Edgarhorn and one of my two S.E.X. amp bi-amping the left Edgarhorn and using the gain control on the S.E.X. amp for balance.

Running just one or the other it is quite obvious that the MonAmour is a BIG step up from the Paramour (which I first heard near 20 years ago and was $500?).

Only one (maybe two?) issues.

Meter shows about 30 with the switch in the 'forward' (toward the front) position and maybe 40+ in the 'rear' position.  Currently running a pair of TJ/Full Music 2.5V 300Bs (Sovtec 2A3 on B/O, not a problem) and can hear NO difference between switch positions.  Willing to take some measurements with a meter but I sure think the cathode resistors are wired correctly and as the cathode current goes THROUGH the three parallel resistors on the meter if it's making music it must be wired close to correctly???  Switch seems to short out the smaller sand cast resistor?

Anyway, fills the room with sound!

And yes, gotta play some audiophile stuff. 

Gonna proceed with the second monoblock and see if I find any differences regards the meter or maybe there is something I can check?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 02:58:25 PM
If the DC voltages on pins 1 and 4 on the 4 pin socket are correct, then the meter is not correct.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ivan303

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 03:28:00 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't recall measuring the pins on the 4 pin socket as part of the assembly process and while I did check B+ sand eem to recall it was fine, I didn't check the pins of the tube merely checked for about 60V ? or so on the hum pot wiper and moved on.

I will check (both switch positions) take exact reading tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for the quick reply.

MonAmour is a great sounding amp. Even one channel.  Two of them will be off the charts i am sure.

Oh, and the manual/picture is/are OUTSTANDING.  Amp worked right off the bench.

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 07:40:45 PM
The Hunter is a great album and an excellent recording.

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Ivan303

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:12:22 AM
Voltages:

2A3 Pin 2 380V

Pin 1 Switch to front 65.5V
Pin 1 Switch to the rear 61V

Meter pics below, both positions, switch forward about 32 and switch to rear about 40?

Bias voltages OK?

Meter not so good?

Last night after being on for about 4 hours, meter died altogether.  Works as above on the bench this morning.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 05:20:11 AM
If you can get the meter to the point where the needle drops, give it a very, very hard whack with your knuckle.  I have about 1 in 25 of these meters that I have used where the needle will drop to zero, then giving it a really hard wrap will usually bring it back to proper operation indefinitely. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Ivan303

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 05:30:01 AM
Ha!

And all of this time I have RESISTED to temptation to WHACK it!

So, I will put it back an the system and let it run again.

Let's wait until I successfully complete the second monoblock before doing anything. 

Voltages OK I am assuming???

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:03:34 AM
Yes, those look OK.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Ivan303

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 05:12:15 AM
Tapping doesn't move the meter.

It's dead again after on a few hours and tapping does no good. :'(

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 05:50:18 AM
You can e-mail replacementparts(at)bottlehead(dot)com about getting a replacement sent over.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Ivan303

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 03:34:47 AM
Thanks,

I'll do that as soon as I finish the second monoblock.