More than a little intimidated

CORedhawk · 3147

Offline oguinn

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2022, 11:11:26 AM
How did you organize things?

I bought a set of drawers for small parts, numbered each, then divided the parts into drawers. I had an Excel sheet with the location for each. That way when I needed a screw or a resistor of a certain size, I knew exactly where it was and that the part was right. It also had a secondary effect of making me go slower since I had to retrieve the part.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Phippers

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2022, 02:47:23 PM
Hi CORedhawk,

Welcome and congrats on ordering your kit!  I'm sure you'll enjoy the build.

What I did when I built my Mainline was to get ziplock sandwich bags, and when the kit arrived I checked off all the parts against the parts list, and eg.  put  #4 nuts in one bag - and labelled it, #6 nuts in the next bag and labelled it, #6 lockwashers in the next..... etc.

So I ended up with all the parts checked off the parts list - all present and correct, no lost screws on the floor :) and super easy to find the right part as I followed each step in the build.

I also tested all the components that I could do easily - eg resistors with my multimeter - before I soldered them into the kit.

It can be easy to mistake a 1K for a 10K   or a 200 ohm for a 200K ohm if you're not familiar with reading the colour codes and much better to get it right first time, than have to troubleshoot and de-solder / repair etc.

Does the above slow you down?  Yes and no. The build is slower, yes, but the troubleshooting can be reduced to none.

As others have said, take your time and enjoy it. If you're not sure, stop and post a question, there are plenty of folk on here that will jump in to help.

Have fun!

Paul Phippin

Offline CORedhawk

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2022, 04:31:56 PM
I bought a set of drawers for small parts, numbered each, then divided the parts into drawers. I had an Excel sheet with the location for each. That way when I needed a screw or a resistor of a certain size, I knew exactly where it was and that the part was right. It also had a secondary effect of making me go slower since I had to retrieve the part.

Thanks. That’s very organized and I see how it would help!

Offline CORedhawk

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2022, 04:34:39 PM
Hi CORedhawk,

Welcome and congrats on ordering your kit!  I'm sure you'll enjoy the build.

What I did when I built my Mainline was to get ziplock sandwich bags, and when the kit arrived I checked off all the parts against the parts list, and eg.  put  #4 nuts in one bag - and labelled it, #6 nuts in the next bag and labelled it, #6 lockwashers in the next..... etc.

So I ended up with all the parts checked off the parts list - all present and correct, no lost screws on the floor :) and super easy to find the right part as I followed each step in the build.

I also tested all the components that I could do easily - eg resistors with my multimeter - before I soldered them into the kit.

It can be easy to mistake a 1K for a 10K   or a 200 ohm for a 200K ohm if you're not familiar with reading the colour codes and much better to get it right first time, than have to troubleshoot and de-solder / repair etc.

Does the above slow you down?  Yes and no. The build is slower, yes, but the troubleshooting can be reduced to none.

As others have said, take your time and enjoy it. If you're not sure, stop and post a question, there are plenty of folk on here that will jump in to help.

Have fun!

Great suggestions. Wouldn’t have thought to test the voltages at that point. Very helpful. Appreciate your post.

Offline Phippers

Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 07:04:10 PM
Not the voltages, but in this example, (a resistor), it's resistance value. (in ohms).

So you're just checking / identifying the component on its own before you start.

Many multimeters can measure resistance as well as voltage and current. You select resistance on the meter, and connect the two meter probes across the resistor.

To do this it is best to use crocodile clips on your meter leads rather than holding the probes across the resistor with your fingers, as the latter can give incorrect readings (and it's good to get used to using croc clips for when you come to make voltage measurements on your amp).

The attached picture shows measuring a 3k9 resistor.

Paul Phippin

Offline debk

Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 11:47:33 PM
How did you organize things?

I use a muffin pan to sort parts into.

Take your time, take it one step at a time.  reread things, sometimes it takes a few reads to understand a step.  If you get frustrated with a step.  Step back take a break and when you come back it is usually clearer.

I know it can seem intimidating, but take it one step at a time and you will be fine.

This community it great and there is always someone on this forum who is ready to help if you get stumped.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline CORedhawk

Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 06:49:15 AM
Not the voltages, but in this example, (a resistor), it's resistance value. (in ohms).

So you're just checking / identifying the component on its own before you start.

Many multimeters can measure resistance as well as voltage and current. You select resistance on the meter, and connect the two meter probes across the resistor.

To do this it is best to use crocodile clips on your meter leads rather than holding the probes across the resistor with your fingers, as the latter can give incorrect readings (and it's good to get used to using croc clips for when you come to make voltage measurements on your amp).

The attached picture shows measuring a 3k9 resistor.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline CORedhawk

Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 06:50:47 AM
I use a muffin pan to sort parts into.

Take your time, take it one step at a time.  reread things, sometimes it takes a few reads to understand a step.  If you get frustrated with a step.  Step back take a break and when you come back it is usually clearer.

I know it can seem intimidating, but take it one step at a time and you will be fine.

This community it great and there is always someone on this forum who is ready to help if you get stumped.

Debra

Thanks Debra. I've got some of those around!

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #23 on: March 12, 2022, 06:33:07 PM
Practice soldering, see if you can round up some scrap parts to play with, even twisting some bits of wire together can give you a feel for making good joints...John

John Scanlon

Offline CORedhawk

Reply #24 on: March 13, 2022, 03:52:35 AM
Practice soldering, see if you can round up some scrap parts to play with, even twisting some bits of wire together can give you a feel for making good joints...John

I don't have any spare parts unfortunately. I've wondered if I should buy one of the cheap beginner kits I've seen, just to practice?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2022, 05:07:00 PM
Excellent idea, you might even find one that is amusing for 5 minutes after you build it ;)...John

John Scanlon