What Amp for Altec Model 19?

Altecboy · 1185

Offline Altecboy

on: August 17, 2021, 04:54:16 AM
I'm looking for advice on whether to choose a Kaiju, Steromour II or MonAmour.  My Altecs are clones of the Model 19, 16 ohm, and rated 100 db/w/m.  The Altecs are augmented with a few subs.

Presently I'm using a Tubelab SSE single ended, running KT88's in triode with cathode feedback.

Even in my large room 12x25, 16ft sloped ceilings, one wall open for 16 feet into a 12x15 ft room, I'm fine with the 5 or so watts the SSE puts out.

I listen to the opera, no dinosaur foot steps. Any advice appreciated.
Les

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 05:06:28 AM
If you want simplicity and a more compact system, the Stereomour is a good way to go with a lower entry price.

The MonAmour and Kaiju use the same iron and the same driver design.  The Kaiju has a bit more power and a lower noise floor while the MonAmour plays a bit lower and has the cosmetic edge.  They are certainly more similar than they are different!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 05:18:38 AM
I can't speak of the Kaiju because I do not have one but I have a sm2 and the Monamours. The SM2 is rated at 3.5 W and it can be wired for 16 ohm operation. Sounds very good and it takes up less space being in one chassis.
The Monamours are rated for 6W and possibly more. They sound Beautiful. They can also be wired for 16 Ohms.
The only downside is they take up a lot of space compared to the SM2 but that may not a problem for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Lee R.

Offline Altecboy

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 06:57:02 AM
Thank you for the quick replies gents.

I do note that the Kaiju has DC filaments vs the AC for the Monamours.  Is a dc add-on in the works for the these?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 06:58:34 AM
The MonAmours are also DC heated, but with a simpler DC supply.

The Kaiju comes AC heated in its stock form, with the DC supply being an add-on.  The Kaiju DC supply is a bit superior to the MonAmour, but this is more of a necessity with 300Bs than it is with 2A3s.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 07:22:34 AM
I have both the Kaiju and a SM2 that I play thru 414's in BLHs like the 19 (an Onken clone and a simple backloaded horn for a small den).  Both play well with your type of music preferences, the 416's in the 19 would play lower but you have supplemented with subs so it's the midrange and up that should drive the selection.  I would vote on the SM2, cheaper entry price and 2A3's sound great.  If they satisfy you then you don't end up in the 300B rabbit hole.
Another option would be SM with 45 tubes, it is great for vocals but loses out a little to the 2A3 with symphonic pieces.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline maryc27182

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 12:35:59 PM
Another option would be SM with 45 tubes, it is great for vocals but loses out a little to the 2A3 with symphonic pieces.

I agree--consider the Stereomour with 45 tubes.

Mary

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 04:48:57 PM
I had 19’s and miss them to this day. I drove them to loud volume with a SEX amp. It doesn’t take much to make great music with them. It comes down to personal taste. I didn’t like 45’s with them but 2A3’s made me happy using a Fi X and Paramounts in 2A3. The 300B Paramounts made me the happiest but that’s personal taste. I also loved the Pass Aleph 30 and First Watt J2 with them. They really are a great sounding speaker!

They are sensitive and I hate hum and would recommend DC heaters unless this doesn’t bother you.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Altecboy

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 09:55:03 PM
Thank you all for your input.  Much appreciated.  Seems like I have nothing but good choices.
Les

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:47:52 AM
I;m curious, did you make a decision yet?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Altecboy

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:08 AM
Hi Aaron.  It will be Monamours.  The combination of a 2a3 and 300b-like tubes plus separate power supplies for each channel made up my mind.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 10:21:09 AM
I'm glad I powder coated an extra set of panels the other day!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline johnsonad

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 03:43:29 PM
A great choice! You will really enjoy them!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Altecboy

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 01:08:40 AM
Just circling back to add my impressions of the MonAmours working with the Altec Model 19's:  It's a great combination. 

After a few hours the sound settled in to be holographic and very steady.  Great depth.  And the depth reveals how far away each individual singer is.  I've never heard this before.

The voices have air around them. 

I hear new information on streaming performances I am well familiar with. 

Everything sounds so relaxed, rounded and smooth.  Certainly not "in your face".  And this from a horn system.

Surprisingly, the above description even carries over when listening at fairly low levels.

I'm very happy with these.

Congrats to Bottlehead on a great product.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 06:19:21 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.