Multimeter buying advice

Clover · 3442

Offline Clover

on: September 15, 2021, 10:42:14 AM
I ordered my first kit, partially to learn new skills.  When I went and checked my multimeter, I realized it only goes to 300 V DC so I am going to need to buy a new multimeter that will work for the S.E.X build.  Part of this was to learn how to use these tools and I am also planning to use the multimeter for the wiring on a kit car build I am doing.  I honestly have no idea how to use the thing and have a pretty limited understanding of circuits so I'm not even really sure what I need.  I saw suggestions for a used Fluke but everything I am seeing around me are the more professional models that are not real affordable.  I starting looking at the 117 and and 106 and 87  which seem more affordable but since I don't really understand the tool and how it is used for various things, I'm not sure what I need.

Is there a specific Fluke models people recommend for kit building/automotive/general use?  I'm not exactly looking for the cheapest in the world and I want to get a quality tool that will last me and not leave me wanting something else better next year.  At the same time, I know I don't need some of these things I am coming across.  I'm not even sure where to start or what to look for.

Thanks for the guidance. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 11:07:13 AM
I would buy one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/11-function-digital-multimeter-with-audible-continuity-61593.html

and put these probes on it:

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Multimeter-Precision-Gold-Plated-Alligator/dp/B082L2SVGB

When the Fluke 174 that I have dies, I will replace it with a HFT meter.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Clover

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 04:28:53 AM
Thanks.  Always nice when a HF tool is a good option.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 04:46:32 AM
There are higher priced meters at HFT that are autoranging, but that one is going to do the job just fine.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man