Experience with r2r DACS?

ArtnShit · 6615

Offline ArtnShit

on: December 18, 2021, 06:07:30 AM
Hi All,

I have been building up a new (to me) hi-fi set up over the last few months. Right now I am using a pair of Klipsch Cornwall v1's from the late '70s. I am waiting on a Kaiju + DC Filament upgrade and a BeePre2 Kit to arrive as well. My main mode of listening is digital streaming (Qobuz + Rune into Node 2i) and file playback.

Anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with r2r DACS? I have been looking at a lot of different DACS lately and am curious about non-delta sigma options. The options that have jumped out to me are the Schiit Yggy (multi-bit) and newer r2r offerings such as the Denafrips Pontus II or the Kitsune Spring 3. I do not think my current (and soon to be current) equipment calls for a highly analytically precise DAC, but rather for a warmer, forward sound with solid imaging.

I would appreciate any incite or opinions!

Thanks in advance.  8)

a&s

a&s

Offline debk

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 11:58:11 AM
I have tried a number of DAC's.  My current favorite is the MHDT Orchid, http://www.mhdtlab.com/Orchid.htm.

I have also built an ANK DAC 2.1 but prefer the MHDT DAC.  I really enjoy the sound of the Orchid with my system. 

I also just bought the PHi DecaDAC kit and will build it soon. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/phidac-hex-kits-with-pre-built-filters.354799/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:02:34 PM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 05:08:46 AM
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out MHDT! Orchid looks really interesting and no frills.

I think DAC kits would be a really great way to start understanding the tech more and a way to have a few types to switch in and out and see how they sound.

a&s

a&s

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 06:41:47 AM
I am using the ANK DAC 2.1 kit with my system and it really sounds very good. Sometimes they have sales on those kits with 10-15% discount. Do keep an eye out for those.. Someone in the forum I remember posted nice feedback about the 4.1 kit too..

Atul

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 06:46:03 AM
have also built an ANK DAC 2.1 but prefer the MHDT DAC.  I really enjoy the sound of the Orchid with my system. 

I also just bought the PHi DecaDAC kit and will build it soon. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/phidac-hex-kits-with-pre-built-filters.354799/

hey Deb - your comment really piqued my interest :) is the Orchid far superior to the 2.1? I was thinking of upgrading the 2.1 at some point in the future. I was thinking more on the lines of 4.1 or higher.. But MHDT sounds interesting now.. :)

Atul

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 10:01:17 AM
I liked it better in my system.  PM me if you want to hear about my experience with ANK

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 07:32:00 AM
I have tried a number of DAC's.  My current favorite is the MHDT Orchid, http://www.mhdtlab.com/Orchid.htm.

I have also built an ANK DAC 2.1 but prefer the MHDT DAC.  I really enjoy the sound of the Orchid with my system. 

Hi Deb, Have you received the PHI DecaDAC yet and if so, any comments on it?
Thanks,
Don

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 11:17:50 AM
I built it and their Celibdache DAC. The difference is that the Celibidache has twice the number of DAC chips.  They both sound very good and are fun to build, if you don't mind SMD parts.

I have been comparing it to my ANK DAC 2.1 it holds up to it.  Very good sound stage and accurate.  I think I like the ANK 2.1 slightly better; it is a little smoother and more natural.

If the PhiDeca or Celibidache were the only DAC I, had I would be very happy with it.

For the price you can't beat it.

I think next, I am going to update the output section of the ANK DAC to the 5687output board with the output transformers

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 09:50:37 PM
I held off on digital for a long while as my experience of the sound has never been that good in the past compared to vinyl, but last year I decided to try again and was looking at the Denafrips Pontus II initially. In the end I got the Terminator II and I think it's amazing - I mostly listen to CDs on it via a Jay's CDT2-MK3 (also excellent). The Pontus is said to share the same house signature sound so I expect it's also very good. What I like about the Terminator II is that it sounds analogue, not digital, which is what I've been waiting for. I use it with Tannoy speakers powered by 2A3 mono blocks. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Pontus II if you're looking for a more analogous sound, which I assume you as as you're looking at R2R DACS.

Steve

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 12:56:15 PM
I built it and their Celibdache DAC. The difference is that the Celibidache has twice the number of DAC chips.  They both sound very good and are fun to build, if you don't mind SMD parts.

I have been comparing it to my ANK DAC 2.1 it holds up to it.  Very good sound stage and accurate.  I think I like the ANK 2.1 slightly better; it is a little smoother and more natural.

If the PhiDeca or Celibidache were the only DAC I, had I would be very happy with it.

For the price you can't beat it.

I think next, I am going to update the output section of the ANK DAC to the 5687output board with the output transformers
Deb, I am thinking I will order either the PhiDeca or the Celibidache kit and wonder if I should start with the PhiDeca to get some experience or is the Celibidace about the same skill level. I have built a BeePre and have many years experience with soldering. I am not great at reading a schematic. I usually need a wiring diagram. Also, for the Celibidace, what did you use for your 24v power supply? 
Thank You,
Don

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline debk

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 03:25:41 PM
Don,

The skill level is about the same, though the Celibidache has twice the number of DAC chips.  If you never built anything with SMD parts, I would advise you find an inexpensive practice kit.  To do SMD work I use a hot air rework station and solder paste, instead of a fine tip soldering iron.  For the power supply I used an AMB labs Sigma 11 board and an R-core transformer. 

Hope this helps

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 02:27:54 AM
Here is a picture of the set up and the finished unit
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 03:50:07 AM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 05:19:11 AM
I owned the bottlehead dac designed by john Swenson for many years.

Had a power supply failure on it a few years ago and sent it in and had a new beefier power supply built by the guys here.

Last year though, it reached end of life for me (skipping, etc) and I had to look around.

The nos dacs interested me and After a lot of research ended up with the holo newest spring 3 kte.  I worked with Tim at kitsunehifi.  Great to deal with.

Wonderful sounding, built like a tank, beautiful, and highly recommended.  You can include their pre module inside the dac so you no longer need a pre.

I am running coincident technology Frankenstein mk3 tube monoblocks and Lii Audio reference speakers, which are transparent and fast,  I wanted a natural sounding dac with the system I was building and it all works together well. 

John

« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:25:37 AM by Johnnycopy »

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 09:33:30 AM
Don,

The skill level is about the same, though the Celibidache has twice the number of DAC chips.  If you never built anything with SMD parts, I would advise you find an inexpensive practice kit.  To do SMD work I use a hot air rework station and solder paste, instead of a fine tip soldering iron.  For the power supply I used an AMB labs Sigma 11 board and an R-core transformer. 

Hope this helps

Deb"

Hi Debra, I have now built an AMB labs Sigma 11 board and I am going to order the R-core transformer. Is the transformer shown in these pictures the R-core? Also it shows 12V/12V and 9V/9V. Would a 12V/12V  12V/12V work as well? My power supply for the SPDIF board needs from 5 to 12V.  Also, can you tell me your source and part number for the USB input board that says 6631PRO? I appreciate your support.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:38:42 AM by Tubegopher »

Offline debk

Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 11:08:29 PM
Yes, I used an R-core transformer.  If you are powering the Phi Deca Dac I believe it needs 12-15 volts.  check the documentation on the the DIYauudio thread.  You will have to look at the AMB sigma 11 documentation to determine what transformer you would use.  If you can power all the boards at the same voltage then you can the multiple outputs from the Sigma 11.  I chose to have a 24 V supply and a 5V supply for the Celibidache DAC plus input board  With the Phi Deca Dac work at a lower supply voltage.  I bought the input boards when I bought the DAC kit.  Any USB to I2S should work.  the boards are available on eBay and Ali Express

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers