Crack resistence check, getting above 0 ohms on terminal 6 and 8

hockeygreen2 · 998

Offline hockeygreen2

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 12:16:01 PM
I appreciate it! I'm in the US specifically New York State, near the buffalo area

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 12:41:38 PM
Ah, I'm not sure why I thought I saw your transformer wired for 240V. 

You can e-mail replacementparts(at)bottlehead(dot)com about getting a replacement jack. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hockeygreen2

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 01:29:29 PM
Hey guys. So I replaced the headphone jack, and soldered in a new led, all the resistances measure good now. But im still only getting sound out of the left channel. I am completely stumped here.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 01:45:22 PM
Can you post your voltages on terminals 1-10 and some photos of the build as it sits now?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hockeygreen2

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 02:21:10 PM
So, when I plugged in the amp to measure voltages, I heard a small hiss sound, and I started to smell something, I quickly unplugged the amp, when taking a look at the amp, I got shocked by the capacitor connected to terminal 20 and 21, which I though was extremely strange as there was no power going through the amp when I was inspecting it. Something has gone severely wrong with this it seems. Heres some photos of the build in its current state.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 02:26:25 PM
Those diode leads sticking out around terminal 19 (where the red wire goes) need to be trimmed back.

The diode going to A3 looks like possibly it's installed in such a way that the leads coming out of each end of the diode are touching, which would also be a problem.

None of this will make a part hiss.  If your resistance checks are still OK, then I would attempt to measure voltages.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hockeygreen2

Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 02:33:22 PM
Ok, those fixes shouldn't be too bad! Also I am currently feeling some heat coming off the capacitor connected to terminals 20 and 21, I tried to measure the voltage earlier but it sparked, should I be concerned about this/is there a way to get the current out of this capacitor?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 02:39:38 PM
With the amp off and discharging, if the voltage on the unbanded end of that capacitor is much different than the voltage on the unbanded end of the other 220uF caps, that would suggest a loose 270 ohm resistor or a loose black wire back there that is preventing it from bleeding down properly. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland