Kaiju equivalent as single output tube mono blocks?

CrackMeUp · 2899

Offline CrackMeUp

on: January 16, 2022, 11:13:55 PM
Is it at all likely that there will be BH 300b SET (with single output tube) mono blocks in the near future?

I already have a pair of PSET 300b monos that incorporate a pair of 6SN7s in push-pull configuration, feeding a pair of 300bs in Parallel single ended operation. I'd really like to build some 300b monos that just have one input and one output tube per mono. I'd go for the MonAmour 2A3 mono blocks, but I already have the 2A3 covered. Something like those for the 300b, utilising all the good elements of the Kaiju perhaps, would be great.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 04:18:49 AM
I have a prototype idea in my head that I need to draw up and run by PJ one of these days, but we have some upgrades for our preamps to release first!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 04:52:03 AM
For what it's worth, the only real difference between the MonAmour and Kaiju circuits is the power supply voltages and current capabilities. And there are some 300Bs with 2.5v filaments ...  :^)

I have some ideas myself, and PB and I will be talking ...

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:55:23 AM
The easy answer is to buy two Kaiju and parallel the outputs for 16 watts :) 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 05:09:39 AM
The Monamour can also be modified to allow 300Bs to work.  You won't get more power though.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Toobuzz

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:11:14 AM
I have a prototype idea in my head that I need to draw up and run by PJ one of these days, but we have some upgrades for our preamps to release first!

-PB

Glad to hear that the final BeePre upgrade is still a priority!

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 05:34:58 AM

-PB

Thanks Paul (and Paul J), that's good to know. It would be great to see the Kaiju in all three options - Stereo 8W per channel, mono block 8W per channel, or 16W parallel monos, or wattages thereabouts. My speakers are 96db efficient and while I love my PSET 300b monos, I want to try a purer, lower output 300b SET setup. I'll keep an eye on future developments. Maybe a new 300b flagship mono block amplifier in either single or parallel single ended design. I'm getting carried away now! :)

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 05:36:40 AM

Hi, if only it were that simple, but as stated I already have PSET 300b monos.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 05:51:32 AM
To be pedantic, the Kaiju as monobloc effectively places the two tubes in series, not in parallel. This has some technical advantages, though I don't know how audible that may be. We use the term "bridged" to distinguish it from "parallel."

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 08:48:24 AM
Thanks PJ!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 09:02:56 AM
The theoretical advantage to monoblocks is the possibility of lower crosstalk due to separate power transformers (and maybe the ability to use shorter speaker cables). We considered this in the Kaiju design and it's really a step up sonically from the 300B monoblocks we have made in the past, in part due to the output iron design. So with our gear the only significant difference between the stereo layout and monoblocks would likely be aesthetics.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 10:00:58 PM
The theoretical advantage to monoblocks is the possibility of lower crosstalk due to separate power transformers (and maybe the ability to use shorter speaker cables). We considered this in the Kaiju design and it's really a step up sonically from the 300B monoblocks we have made in the past, in part due to the output iron design. So with our gear the only significant difference between the stereo layout and monoblocks would likely be aesthetics.

Hi Doc, Can I take that as unlikely then that you'll produce a 300b mono block kit again? Although, if the Kaiju stereo is a step up from the previous 300b mono block designs you've produced, wouldn't Kaiju Monos be a step up again?

I realise that it's potentially a lot to produce for little gain (although you've done it with the MonAmour 2A3 Monos) but seeking those small improvements is desirable for many. I'm personally committed to mono blocks due to my preference for short speaker cables and longer interconnects, and room/equipment layout.

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 10:09:00 PM
Continued...

I think I understand where you're coming from though, as the Kaiju design can't be implemented as a single output tube mono block due to the use of two 300b tubes in series in the Kaju. It would be a different beast and perhaps lesser for it.

That said, I need to build some simple 300b monos. I may not prefer them to my PSET 300b monos, but it would be fun to experiment. Perhaps that's it. How about a mono 300b experimenter's kit? Maybe with a few design options. Just wishful thinking. :)

Offline Kris

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 05:13:20 AM
How about a mono 300b experimenter's kit?

... S300X ??  ;^)

P.S. your thread made me want to convert my 2a3 Paramounts to 300B...  Ehhh, this hobby never ends...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:06:37 PM by Kris »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 05:39:40 AM
We would have to do something a lot different than the Kaiju to make a successful product.  Monoblocked Kaijus would give almost the same performance as a Kaiju but with a higher price tag that would be hard to justify.

Paul "PB" Birkeland