Output Cap upgrade for C2A

Happy Ghost · 2277

Online Happy Ghost

on: March 25, 2022, 10:25:37 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone have any good capacitor upgrade ideas for the C2A. In one of the threads, someone had spoken approvingly of "Dayton Audio DMPC-100 100uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor".

Folks who have gone the capacitor upgrade path, can you please share some of your experiences and thoughts. btw I already have the 2Quiet upgrade already installed.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:52:51 AM by Happy Ghost »

Atul

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 10:44:58 AM

Lee R.

Online Happy Ghost

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 10:49:48 AM
Hey Atul, I used these and they are fine.

hey Lee.. how're you? been long time.. I like the music recommendations you put out every once in a while :)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EZP-V60107MTC?qs=OlC7AqGiEDkd9vetrBxybA%3D%3D

So curious on how did you  find the sound after this upgrade? is it incremental change or did it make a bigger impact?

Atul

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 01:34:40 PM
It was not a drastic change but after the change the presentation was was a little more fluid to my old worn out ears. I generally do not expound on my thoughts as audio is subjective. The film caps were an improvement over the electrolytics supplied, which were not bad I must say.
I am thankful that you got your dac squared away finally, I feel bad in a way for the recommendation but I do love mine. Having said that I will not fall into his trap again.
Those caps are pretty affordable and I consider them an upgrade.
Happy listening my friend.
Lee

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 01:44:53 PM
I believe I put the Audyns in my C2A and they fit/work nicely.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mucker

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 09:24:23 PM
It's been a long time since doing the caps, but my bias wants to believe it is better.

Here is what I have done to my Crack/SB since 2014.

1. Alps pot with PCB ... $15
2. RCA Input wires - shielded piece of good Monster I had laying around, separated grounds ... 0$
3. Neutrik Locking TRS jack ... $10
4. Dayton Output Caps - Turrets ... $80
5. 237 ohm stock speedball resistors -> 470 for E80CC
6. Cree Shotkey Diodes with PCB ... $30
7. Triad Choke grounded to IEC ground - replace 270 ohm T15 > T21 resistor ... $20
8. Opposing diodes on IEC ground - noise reduction ... $10

I am more than pleased with the result, however, I would just get a C2A and leave it stock if I were to do it again. It arrived onto the scene just a hair too late for me. BUT, the journey has been rewarding.

What I am really tempted to do is buy a new stock Crack without SB and leave it that way to see just how affected the upgraded (downgraded  :-*) Crack/SB is.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:29:12 PM by Mucker »

Online Happy Ghost

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 10:54:48 AM
I am thankful that you got your dac squared away finally, I feel bad in a way for the recommendation but I do love mine. Having said that I will not fall into his trap again.

;D No honestly, I love the DAC!! it is really something special. your honest opinion really did prep me on the supply chain issues.. But it all worked out well :) I might give
Brian a second chance..he actually threw in some upgrades after a few issues piled up  ;D

Happy listening my friend.

to you too! Hope Doc is going to put out more projects for all of us to build in 2022  ;D

Atul

Online Happy Ghost

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 11:20:00 AM
What I am really tempted to do is buy a new stock Crack without SB and leave it that way to see just how affected the upgraded (downgraded  :-*) Crack/SB is.

Actually this is my plan too :) Was planning to use something like that just for vinyl listening..

Atul

Offline IndyNate

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 10:51:31 AM
Whatever you add, remember to bypass the cap with some Soviet PIO K40/42/MBM/whatever. Trust me comrade, you will be surprised how much tonal difference it can yield. Gotta run as I hear the Capacitor Police rushing in!  :) :)