Connecting DAC to amp suggestions

toby.purnell · 4711

Offline toby.purnell

on: June 01, 2022, 01:01:21 AM
As i purchased a Crack with Speedball kit yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive now, i have began questioning the best methods on connecting it to my PC.
So far, i have a Fiio K5 pro which i have been using only and from what i have gathered, i can connect this to the Crack (PC, Fiio, then Crack) by a USB from the PC to the Fiio and RCA-RCA to the Crack as i believe the K5 pro can be used as a DAC only.
Would it be a good idea to connect my Crack in this way and would it sound good? Or is it best i purchase a dedicated DAC to replace the Fiio or do i then pair either of them with a preamp between? I have only ever used what i currently own so I have not much experience on this topic.

Cheers

Toby Purnell

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:57:34 AM
I think using the K5 as a DAC would be a good place to start.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 04:09:54 AM
Alright, I'll use that then.
What about for the future? Is there any DACs you specifically recommend with the Crack which are also a good value? Im going to be using my hd600s most of the time.

Toby purnell

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 04:27:47 AM
That is something most easily evaluated at a HeadFi meet or buy borrowing/swapping equipment with a coworker or friend.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jay

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 06:03:22 AM
I have PC --usb--> Schiit Modi --RCA--> Crack. It works quite nicely. I think (in my limited experience) the Modi is good value for the money.

Jay L.

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 09:49:29 AM
Thank you! I will take it into consideration and do some more research on the topic. cheers

toby

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 01:12:03 PM
After some research, I think a Topping D10s would be a good fit. It seems to be similar to DACs above its price and i don't need any extra features within it so it will be good for what i will use it for :)
toby