Having trouble with my new ideal stripmaster wire stripper

Big Bamboo · 4818

Offline Big Bamboo

Hi,

I built a crack with an inexpensive wire stripper which worked fine in my hands. Since I was about to start a new kit (sex 3.0) and also will be helping my neophyte son-in-law build an Eros 2,  I figured he might benefit from a more "foolproof’ wire stripper.

After reading how great the Ideal stripmaster was, I decided to order one in the 16-26 variety, here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RFSWF8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Unfortunately, it has worked poorly for me. Specifically I have had these problems:

When I go to strip the red or black single stranded wire (which I thought was 22 gauge) the following happens; if I set it in the 22 hole, it doesn’t strip off the insulation. If I use the 24 hole, it cuts the wire.

When I used it on the 18 gauge green wire , it cut the insulation ok, but then grasped the wire and pulled it through from the other end, so instead of having 7mm of wire exposed on each end, one was about 18 mm and the other end 0 as it retracted into the insulation.

I can’t imagine I am using it incorrectly. I will probably be returning it.

Anyone else have these issues? Any ideas?

Thx

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 02:27:14 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RFSWF8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have the exact same thing and it works like a charm..   ;D
Anyone else have these issues? Any ideas?

Yes.. It took me some time to figure it out too.. But do take a look at the soldering videos put out by Doc. He shows how to use the stripper the correct way. It's so simple and easy to use.

Good luck!

Atul

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 02:07:01 AM
HG,

Thx for your input

I have seen the soldering videos.

After experimenting some more with spare wire, I am having better luck.

It seems if I squeeze the handle till the knife blades oppose, then pause for a moment before squeezing the handle all the way, the cut through the insulation is better.

Question: What size is the wire in the sex 3.0? I don't see it listed in the manual.

The green solid core is labeled as 18
I assume the red, black solid core is 24 gauge
the wire in the CAT5 cable appears to be 24 as well

These are the settings that seem to work, but I'd appreciate confirmation

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 04:03:35 AM
The teflon coated wire is 22 AWG.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 05:16:20 AM
Paul,

Thank you.

I find that interesting.

I went back and experimented some more. If I use the 22 hole of the stripmaster on either the teflon coated wire or the CAT 5 wire, it cuts into the insulation a bit, but doesn't strip it. If I use the 24 hole, it seems to work fine. But I'm afraid it might be nicking the wire when using a smaller hole. I assume everyone else uses the 22 hole for 22 wire on the stripmaster.

Strangely, when I go back to using my old manual stripper, selecting the 22 hole on that device works fine for both wires, every single time without fail.

The model number of my Ideal stripper is 45-097, which I think might be different from what I saw mentioned on the forums. Looking at the Ideal website, 45-097 is the only one listed at present for 16-26 wires. Could they have changed model numbers when a supplier was changed? Could it be the quality control isn't what it used to be?

I might see if I can reach out to the company. At this point, I'm way more comfortable using the old one.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:18:52 AM by Big Bamboo »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 05:29:09 AM
I use the 24 hole as well and I haven't had any problems. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 06:14:43 AM
I contacted the Ideal Customer service. According to them, my stripper should have two labels of holes, one on the top cutter blade, the other on the bottom blade. One is for stranded and the other for solid. Mine only has labels on the top blade. I have sent a picture to them, which they will bring to the attention of production. They promised to get back to me.

When looking at my old manual stripper, the holes are labeled differently for solid and stranded. The hole for 22 solid is the same hole used for 24 stranded.

I naturally assumed with my ideal stripper that one used the same hole as the wire gauge. If Paul says it's OK to use the 24 holes, then I will use it with confidence.

Thanks again.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 07:35:38 AM
Use the 24 slot on the Teflon wire and then push back the insulation a bit and inspect the copper to give yourself confidence that the wire is not being damaged.

I'll have a look at my ancient Stripmaster when I get into the office. I don't recall different numbers on the same slot. Ideal apparently does do a lot of "custom" variants. They even have several different types of the grippers for different insulation materials. Never tried them myself.

https://www.idealind.com/us/en/shop/product-type/aerospace/stripmaster/replacement-parts.html

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 10:42:53 AM
Doc,

I did what you suggested and then took pictures with a usb microscope.

There is a nick seen where I did the first strip as well as a nick next to the insulation where I did the second strip.
The defects don't seem large, but I know from my schooling that even small defects in metal can produce a stress riser which can be a weak point.
I suspect these won't matter, but "Who Knows?"

I stripped the same wire with my old stripper. It left a small mark, seemingly less prominent than with the stripmaster.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 12:41:20 PM
So now you have hands on info to make your own judgment. Well done.

Here's a pic of a white Teflon wire I just stripped with my old Stripmaster on the 24ga. slot. The jaws hit just about in the center of that bare length and I pulled the insulation back after stripping to expose the area. A nice clean strip, I see no nick, nor do I feel anything with my thumbnail.

I would guess that this indicates either a tolerance issue with yours or that my old stripper has somehow worn to the proper size. It does leave some insulation when used on the 22ga. setting as noted above. I have had this stripper since Ed Fallon gave it to me in the early oughts. I believe at the time it may have been surplus from Medtronics so it's pretty old.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 05:28:51 PM
I have one with the 20-30 gage jaws and it doesn't nick the wire. I use a fairly slow and deliberate squeeze as to not jerk the wire through the jaws...John

John Scanlon

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 10:50:05 AM
FYI,

I exchanged several emails with the Ideal Company and sent them the pictures.

This was their response.

"John,

The reason the 45-097 is not working for you is because that tool is not meant to be used on Teflon wire."

I guess that's the end of the story for me.
I will return mine.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 04:18:33 PM
WTF. I just did a search for an Ideal Stripmaster rated for Teflon. They make one called the 45-177. Looks just like any other Stripmaster but apparently has grit grippers and custom blades. $350 on Amazon. Holy s**t.

Dunno why mine (and John's) works fine. Maybe they changed something over the years. I will see if I can come up with an alternative to suggest. Maybe Klein makes something.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 04:31:14 PM
Maybe this as an alternative? One description I read talked about it stripping "single and multiwire cables". If this means solid and stranded wires it might be worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Stripper-Special-Applications-Teflon/dp/B008P08C5W

I will note that the couple of reasonably priced strippers I saw that mentioned Teflon wire had metric sized blades rather than SAE. Most reviews I read said they worked OK on SAE ga. wire once you figured out which slot to use.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 05:01:55 PM
I have used these for teflon stranded and solid and they work beautifully. Everything I built was teflon. They are small, light weight, and have an adjustable strip length gauge. Expensive but worth it. Just make sure you get the CK tool version made in Germany as China makes a knock off labeled OK tools, They suck.
https://www.amazon.com/Tools-330011-Wire-Stripper-Range/dp/B004JHXPEI/ref=sr_1_8?crid=26QZHYH03GC6L&keywords=ck%2Bindustries%2Bwire%2Bstripper&qid=165880

Lee R.