my crack has lost its 'character'

toby.purnell · 929

Offline toby.purnell

on: July 22, 2022, 06:59:55 AM
i first built my crack before and thought it sounded absolutely beautiful. the next day i installed the speedball kit to see if i would prefer and found i actually didnt like how it sounded any more, so i decided to switch back to the old stock crack components. however, now it sounds different than it first did when stock and it seems to have more harsh top end and less smoothness to it. what could be the cause of this and how would i go about fixing it? or is it just me?
i want to know if anyone else has put a speedball kit in and then after converted their crack back and has experienced the same thing as i am. -toby

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:46:53 AM
Are the voltages are still at spec? That is the place to start. It could be that the tubes have changed. It could be that something else in the system that has changed the sound. It could be you. It's a little difficult for us to offer useful assistance without more info.

I will offer that one day is not long enough to run the amp before deciding to make a change. Both the original stock build and the Speedball installation should have been given 50 to 100 hours of play to let them fully break in before passing judgment.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 08:34:55 AM
What you're describing is how I would describe the sound of a cold solder joint.  In particular where the black wires meet at the headphone jack is a pretty common place to find a wire that isn't all that well captured by solder.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 09:53:58 AM
i will have a look over the voltages again soon if i can find the multimeter. im not entirely sure what the issue is but i can check over all joints again to be sure. i get it wasn't long enough really to decide on switching the upgrade over. ill re-solder those joints and come back with an update. cheers!

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 11:17:17 AM
update
i checked over all the voltages and they are all correct, however when testing resistances they were all good except terminals 7, 9, 20, b3 and b6 which all just didnt give a reading at all, not even a 0 ohm which shows there is no connection made. im not sure if this is because of the multimeter itself or if there is a wire broken somewhere but thats what i got.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 11:38:38 AM
Did you put the 3K resistors back in the circuit?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 11:45:26 AM
A 0 ohm reading does not mean there is no connection. 0 ohms would mean excellent continuity - a dead short. An "OL" or something similar typically signifies an open.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 11:48:44 AM
yes, the 3k resistors were put back into the circuit. also the readings where there was no signal found was where it was supposed to be 2.9K instead

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 01:22:06 PM
If you have your black meter probe at terminal 12, what DC resistance do you get at terminal 3?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 01:32:42 PM
my multimeter was set to 20kohm and displayed 0.003 on it so i believe thats, 3 ohms?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 01:47:49 PM
Now measure between terminal 3 and 7, then 3 and 9.  If you don't get a reading on the 20K range, then keep turning up the range until you get a reading.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 01:48:55 PM
i will try in the morning, UK time for me and almost 1am now. ill update on it tomorrow! cheers

Offline Mucker

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 07:56:26 PM
You bring up a really good point about the human factor. I have experienced my great fleet of amps, speakers, headphones sounding just OK some days and then totally blowing my socks off the next. I'd never be able to put a finger on what's happening but I know the equipment isn't making the dramatic impact of what I experience. Some days it just isn't happening (mood, rest, other ...) Kind of like my golf game. Some days straight as an arrow all day and then other days complete crap, same equipment.

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 11:45:18 PM
yeah i do get your point and i experience the same when playing bass, some days it just sounds godly and others its not quite right no matter what.

Offline toby.purnell

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 08:26:44 AM
both resistors read 2.96K ohms.