Metalic ringing from front tube (5963 stock)

l33tsauce7 · 955

Offline l33tsauce7

on: November 11, 2022, 06:17:56 PM
As the title states, anytime i bump the desk, type or touch the headphone jack/tube it sounds like i can hear the metal from the plate amplified (go figure) through my headphones. It is a fresh build and passed all tests with no issues and actually sounds amazing aside from this hiccup. Using DT1990s and have tested 3 different cables all do the same thing. Fiddling with the jack on the cans themselves does not reproduce the sound. Less of an issue but ive also noticed a very minor oscillating hiss or quiet static when there is no audio being played. It seems to happen in roughly 5 second intervals. Im open to any and all advice! If you need anymore info just let me know and ill do my best to answer in a less than ignorant way hah. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:26:48 AM by l33tsauce7 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 05:47:58 AM
The noise you're hearing at 5 second intervals would most likely be interference from a wireless device that's close by (your phone can even do this).

What you're describing is a microphonic tube, and there's no harm in continuing to use that tube. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline l33tsauce7

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 05:58:26 AM
The noise you're hearing at 5 second intervals would most likely be interference from a wireless device that's close by (your phone can even do this).

What you're describing is a microphonic tube, and there's no harm in continuing to use that tube.

so the interference was fixed when i moved the amp (good call you are right). i realized it was on the same level as my router just on the other side of the wall so that has been fixed. however the ringing is a bit annoying as i move my head while im working and typing is audible through vibrations basically. this is my first tube amp so i dont really know whats normal and what isnt. I wouldnt think movements and MINOR vibrations would affect it much

Offline Larpy

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 06:08:11 AM
You can also try placing a silicone ring or two around a microphonic tube to dampen vibrations.  They don't always work, but they're cheap to try:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/damper-rings-high-temperature-silicone-red

Larry

Offline l33tsauce7

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 06:14:13 AM
A little bit of microphonics isn't abnormal, but if it's annoying you could just buy an inexpensive replacement tube.

Something like that (which appears to be 6 tubes?) would be worth snagging.

A group like that would give you lots of choices to listen to.

are those all the same tube or just a random assortment? thats pretty cheap!

Offline l33tsauce7

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 06:15:14 AM
You can also try placing a silicone ring or two around a microphonic tube to dampen vibrations.  They don't always work, but they're cheap to try:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/damper-rings-high-temperature-silicone-red

ah that would be a cheap fix. i had actually thought about putting a rubber grommet of sorts around the base of the socket where it attaches to the metal plate but its nice to see this isnt just a ME problem hah

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 06:15:37 AM
The second group is a smattering of different 12AU7s made by various companies.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline l33tsauce7

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 06:25:04 AM
The second group is a smattering of different 12AU7s made by various companies.

gotcha, so the idea here is to just tube roll and maybe find a tube that doesnt have as bad of microphonics? im not apposed to this idea as i wanted to tube roll eventually anyway just want to make sure i understand correct. microphonics is a natural thing and i did not goof on my build somewhere, and can be combated through dampeners and tube rolling.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 06:27:02 AM
That's an inexpensive way to get into tube rolling.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mucker

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 06:34:18 AM
My tube gear doesn't care for the 2.4GHz band in my home. Luckily nearly all of my wireless devices are 5GHz capable. I can turn the 2.4 band off and on in my router and the issue with 2.4 is obvious so I don't use it anymore. The 5GHz band is quiet while the 2.4 produces a fuzzy morse code pulsing sound and very slight squeal.

Offline l33tsauce7

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 06:35:17 AM
That's an inexpensive way to get into tube rolling.

ok last two questions for now lol. ive noticed my dt1990s are a bit sensitive to the volume and i only need it at maybe 15 to 20% before its too loud. Is that resistor trick on the forums for the pot a proven/safe option? And before i dive into the rabbit hole of reading and buying tubes for myself, which tube is more impactful for rolling? power or pre

thanks for all the input!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 06:41:16 AM
Yes, the resistor mod for the volume pot what you'd need to do in that situation.

The 12AU7 is going to have a pretty large impact on how the amp sounds, though a really fresh vs. really dead 6080 will also be very audible.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Deluk

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 02:26:03 AM
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11676.0

This mod can sometimes work magic on random noises. Worth fitting but may not work in your case.