New amp and volume control

Mulburg · 3636

Offline Mulburg

on: November 24, 2022, 09:40:04 AM
I went from a fairly low 8 watt ACA to a moderately powered 25 watt aleph j diy amp. The volume on the moreplay now jumps up quickly from low to a little too high for low level listening. And to get the balance more even, you have to go up a little higher.

The sound quality is still great, no other issues at all. Is this something that can be mitigated?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 10:01:49 AM
Why not use the balance control to get the channel balance more even?

You've gone up in amplifier gain (power is completely independent from gain).  You can attenuate the inputs of your amplifier if things are too sensitive, or you could get similar results by padding down the pot a little bit.  The Moreplay has extremely low gain for a preamp, so I would tend to suggest getting some Harrison Labs attenuators and just plugging those into your amp.

(You could also get less sensitive speakers)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mucker

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 10:51:19 AM
What kind of sources do you run into your Moreplay?

Offline Mulburg

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 03:19:30 PM
iPhone and or ipad.

Offline btol

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 06:45:07 PM
You can attenuate the inputs of your amplifier if things are too sensitive, or you could get similar results by padding down the pot a little bit.

How do I go about padding the pot? I plan to start my build this week and will also be using an Aleph J with the Moreplay. I have 99 dB sensitive speakers and would love to have as much usable range on the volume pot as possible.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 04:40:51 AM
See item #3 and the picture on the first post here:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=4295.0

You'll want to use 7.5K and 3.3K for the resistor values.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline btol

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 09:39:04 AM
See item #3 and the picture on the first post here:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=4295.0

You'll want to use 7.5K and 3.3K for the resistor values.

Thank you! I will take a look.

Offline Mulburg

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 06:32:15 AM
I went back through and measured everything and everything is right on. But the difference between the measurements of A5, A6 and B5, B6 are off by 5k. The As are 55 and the Bs are 49. Individually they are within spec, does the difference matter? I did measure the resistors on each and they are both 217.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:54 AM
That difference is coming from the tolerance of the balance pot and isn't anything abnormal.  If you perfectly centered the balance pot, you could get those resistances to be perfect as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mulburg

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 08:05:09 AM
Thank you Paul.

That difference is coming from the tolerance of the balance pot and isn't anything abnormal.  If you perfectly centered the balance pot, you could get those resistances to be perfect as well.

Offline btol

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 10:29:13 AM
I'm going to try the Harrison labs attenuators before adding Resistors to the volume pot. Any thoughts on 12db vs 6db? Will be using 99db Altec 601c and 30w DIY Aleph J.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 04:30:40 PM
The Aleph J has almost 20dB of gain and your speakers don't need more than about 2W or so to play exceptionally loud.  2W into 8 ohms is 4V, and your amp will make 4V with only about 400mV of input signal.  The weakest sources I have ever found put out 300mV of output, so most are going to be close to doing the job without any preamp gain. 

Having said all this, -12dB is probably not enough, but definitely a good place to start and then you could scale your potentiometer resistors accordingly based on what you learn.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline btol

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 04:50:18 PM
Thanks Paul. I decided to go with a pair of Rothwell 20db attenuators.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 05:28:01 PM by btol »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 05:41:33 PM
Thanks Paul. I decided to go with a pair of Rothwell 20db attenuators.

Good choice, IMHO.

When they come, I'd appreciate it if you would measure the input resistance. The Rothwell 10dB measures 30Kohms, but I have not been able to discover the resistance of their 20dB unit.  These are higher than the Harrison Labs (10K for the 12dB), and I was about to recommend the Rothwells as preferable for that reason. 10K is a difficult load for Moreplay - it will work, but gain and peak output are reduced.

Paul Joppa

Offline btol

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 05:54:17 PM
That's great to hear Paul. Happy to measure input resistance and share the info.