help with decision about BeePre

sl-15 · 1025

Offline sl-15

on: November 24, 2022, 12:12:56 PM
So, I was thinking about the BeePre or Moreplay for a while now and with he black friday deal coming up wondering if i should go for it. Have been using a Foreplay 3 since 2008 and upgraded to the extended version. Also using Eros and Pioneer Spec 4 solid state amp and will be using Mcintosh 225 tube amp once it is restored. The gain in my system is usually too high so the 6dB gain of the Bee Pre would be a much better fit. I am also intrigued by the simplicity of the Moreplay. But then I think for a more noticeable upgrade I should just go for the BeePre? I am wondering about the microphonics in the BeePre and if the version 2 fixed this problem. Also our house main is running pretty consistently on 117V instead of 120V and I would like to know if this might be a problem? Any insights from users that used both the Foreplay and Beepre and or some words of encouragement to do the jump are greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays, Stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline debk

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 05:33:17 PM
I have both and find the BeePre 2 to be the superior preamp.  i really enjoy the sound of the BeePre.  I have both version of the BeePre, and find no issues with microphonics.  It was an issue with he original BeePre but not with the new version

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 07:02:27 AM
I am wondering about the microphonics in the BeePre and if the version 2 fixed this problem. Also our house main is running pretty consistently on 117V instead of 120V and I would like to know if this might be a problem?
These specific situations drove the changes from BeePre 1 to BeePre 2.  BeePre 1 was super sensitive to powerline voltage variations, while BeePre 2 isn't bothered by that.  The microphonics of BeePre 1 could be overly present in systems with a lot of gain, as could noise ultimately, but BeePre 2 has some substantial design changes to combat this. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 07:50:57 AM
I have the original BeePre and have had no issues at all with microphonics. I highly recommend the BeePre.

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline sl-15

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 03:30:31 PM
Paul, I figured so much from reading all the descriptions about version 2 but wanted to get this confirmed, so thank you. And thanks for your feedback Debra and Don. By now I am pretty convinced that I should skip Moreplay and go all the way. The only obstacle left for me is the top plate layout. My system is set up from left to right and the BeePre has the transformer on the left and the inputs on the right. I need it the other way around. I know building it mirrored is not a good idea. But it is going to be hard to move the Eros to the right of the BeePre in my setup. My guess is the transformer radiates quite a bit of electrical field that can be picked up by interconnects? Another option would be to get interconnects that are longer. Anyways just thinking out loud here. Best, Stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 04:34:53 PM
If you mirror the layout, installing the attenautor upgrade will be extremely difficult and the label plate won't work with that arrangement.   Longer interconnects sure seems less painful.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 06:20:56 PM
I would absolutely not try a mirrored layout, I would get all twisted around.

Stefan Hampel

Offline sl-15

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 08:43:02 PM
So, I just went all in and ordered the BeePre and the 2 upgrades. Looking forward to building again.

Stefan Hampel