Beepre 2 Coarse Attenuator resistance measurement [resolved]

denteom · 3374

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 04:36:28 AM
That terminal pretty much has to be touching the screw or hardware under the screw.  You may need to take a tiny flathead jewelers screwdriver to scrape away the short.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denteom

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 12:54:11 AM
Hi, any thoughts on what to do next?

Offline denteom

Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 02:55:39 AM
So, what to do next? Is there a solution?

Offline denteom

Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 03:00:01 AM
Sorry did not see it was on page 2 of the thread. I will try to see if there are any other points touching it. even with magnifying glasses I could not see it.  Maybe peering it the morning light would be better.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 06:50:01 AM
You can unscrew the plate where the attenuator controls mount and space it off the standoffs with a little cardboard so there's no metal contacting the chassis to verify that the 0 ohm problem goes away.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 04:22:07 AM
I unscrewed the nut close to Terminal 7, then sprayed contact cleaner.  As you can see there is no contact from terminal 7 and the nut.  I still get 0 kohm.  So just to be clear you recommend removing the attenuator and add paper in between it?  Which Standoff? The one connected to the flat stainless steel plate with rounded ends?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 04:23:52 AM
Unscrew the three screws that hold the plate with the level controls to the three standoffs, lift the plate up so it doesn't touch the chassis plate anymore, then recheck that resistance with the attenuator mounting plate no longer touching the chassis.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 05:20:36 AM
Still the same 0 kohm I removed the screws from the standoffs

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 05:43:41 AM
And the plate that the attenuators mount to isn't touching the BeePre chassis at all?

The idea here is that if there's a short from pin 7 of the switch to the chassis, then lifting the attenuator mounting plate off the BeePre plate will disrupt that connection and you should be able to then measure your 5K reading properly.  It's not enough to just remove the screws if the two pieces of metal are still touching.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 06:00:16 AM
Ok I'll try again. but I think the best way to do that is to really remove the stand offs

Offline denteom

Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 06:26:15 AM
I removed the stand off and placed paper under it.  I still reads 0 kohm

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 07:44:41 AM
I would double check that the white and black wires leaving the coarse attenuator are going to the correct spots.  They kind of have to be because the stock build wouldn't worth otherwise, but it's worth examining.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 08:14:06 AM
Those just come from the left output jacks.  Can the attenuator have a factory defect? I know I did the soldering correctly.  Would want to resolve this issue before the end holidays.  Also I ordered a Crack, if there is a need to return and have something replaced I suggest to have it shipped together with it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 08:17:48 AM
Could you double check that the fine switch doesn't have any influence on this reading?  In your photo that you posted, it could actually be the fine switch that is making contact where it shouldn't be, so that's worth double checking.

There's a very good chance that if we sent you a new coarse switch and new resistors that you would be back here with the same problem, so let's take the time to properly sort out what's going on before throwing parts at the issue.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 08:45:13 AM
So I desolder the red and white wires connecting the coarse and fine? and recheck the resistance again?