Weird Sounds

btol · 2603

Offline btol

on: January 22, 2023, 05:20:53 AM
I've got an intermittent squeeing/clicking/buzz sound on the left channel. Lasts 1-3 seconds and happens every 15-30 minutes or so. It started as some crackling so I reflowed solder joints on the 8 terminals of each tube socket. That seemed to fix the issue for a couple days but now this new sound. Started when the Moreplay had been on for a few hours. Should I just go on with reflowing each solder joint until the noise goes away or should I be on the lookout for something else like component failure?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 05:49:15 AM
I would definitely be looking for a loose solder joint, but a clicking noise would also bring in the possibility that this is wireless interference from a nearby device.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dth31

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 07:51:55 AM
I had a similar problem.  Moving the router, which was 3-4 ft away from my electronics, fixed the problem.

Offline btol

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 06:15:51 PM
Finally got around to reflowing every solder joint and still getting the crackling. Appreciate the router suggestion but it's about 15 ft away. Unfortunately, I am at a loss. Only thing I can think of is maybe damaging a tab or one of the components because I was perhaps too heavy handed with the iron during the assembly stage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 06:18:31 PM by btol »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 04:52:15 AM
A damaged component will tend to not function and you'll get resistances and/or voltages that are way off.  A loose solder joint will produce crackling that isn't periodic in nature (it will be random crackling)

If you can make a recording of the sound, that might be helpful.  There are also some phones that can produce this kind of noise, but it may be some other device that only seldomly connects wirelessly.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Bubbatwoa

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 05:15:38 AM
It could be the tube.  Swap the tube positions and see if the noise moves to the other channel.

Offline btol

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 05:03:56 PM
I managed to get some videos capturing the sound out of the right channel. I thought I possibly had the issue resolved earlier this weekend. Moved the pre from an amp stand on the floor up to the top of my rack. I heard just a couple fleeting crackles up until today when I changed to a different set of 6v6's. The result is what you hear. I put the old tubes back but the crackling/squealing remains.

https://youtube.com/shorts/S9AYFGYqI1o?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/QNg_4N2G7sc?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/hxKHL9p9A1c?feature=share
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:24:31 PM by btol »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 07:56:45 AM
If I heard that,  I would be reflowing all of the solder joints.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline btol

Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 08:23:20 AM
I've reflowed them all last weekend...try again?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 08:26:27 AM
Is the noise dependent on the position of the volume control?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline btol

Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 11:04:21 AM
Yes. Looks like it gets louder as the volume control is turned up.

Offline btol

Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 11:16:50 AM
Go figure. Now it's not making any noise at all. I'm pretty confident it will be back though based on how the preamp has behaved lately.

**EDIT: It's back.**

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 04:05:27 AM by btol »

Offline btol

Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 09:28:02 AM
Bump

AG

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 06:10:11 AM
Hi to all.
 I am not an expert, but I noticed something similar in my system (still SS) after clean all the connection (RCA and Power) the sound was gone, then came back again, after increasing the volume to notice where the bad connection can be moving all the RCA and power cords the noise was present louder, and suddenly my wife told me, as soon I turned the lights on the sound came out your speakers.  Voila! the dimmer is putting noise in the line or RF, not sure yet, turning of the light my speakers turn dead quiet again. now is not just when is one is only in one position of the dimming range. Min or max its fine.

my 2 cents

Cheers from Fla.
Andre.