Elrog 300Bs

currly30 · 2949

Offline currly30

on: March 15, 2023, 04:58:20 PM
Has anyone tried the Elrog ER300B(~$1500) or the Elrog ER300B-Mo(~$2500) in the Kaiju? I guess Elrog is also releasing a TM300B which will cost around $3500.

I've been seeing a lot of praises for the Elrog tubes but they are really expensive. The Mo/TM is more expensive than the Kaiju.

Does anyone have experience with the Elrog 300B style tubes? If so, how did you like them? Are they better than the WE300B/ PSVANE Acme 300B/ Linla E-300B?

Offline PT

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 12:06:48 AM
**** subjective oppinion warning****

I found them analytic, bright and cold. For my ears, paired with OMA Deville speakers, they sounded  precise, detailed, yet fatiguing. Keeping them in a box until I build another 300B amp, and then, hopefully, I can get my hands on EML 300B set to test.

Offline currly30

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 12:55:29 AM
Interesting. What tubes did you end up liking the most in the Kaiju?

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 06:59:49 AM
I have been using Elrog Er-300b's in my Kaiju for about a month now, and will say that I love them in my system. My current speakers are Klipsch Cornwall v1's from 1972, and the rest of the amps in the system are Bottlehead. The Elrog's replaced the stock Electro Harmonix and were a pretty immediate upgrade to my ears in both the tightness of the bass and overall soundstage. No fatigue in my experience or an over-analytical feeling. The effect was noticeable but not *meteoric* or anything extreme like that, so temper your expectations in that regard. I would say I am very happy with them and have zero plans of taking them out of my system.

I also have a strong belief that a lot of the other components (Cornwalls, BeePree2, Eros) in my system provide a lot of warmth and coloration on that side of the spectrum, and the Elrogs have balanced some of that out, so it may just come down to what else you're running.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:02:47 AM by ArtnShit »

a&s

Offline currly30

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 06:53:23 PM
True. I imagine the whole system would affect the sound not just the tubes. I did replace the caps in the Kaiju and notice a decent improvement in the bass and sub bass.

How do you like the BeePre in your line?

Offline PT

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 09:39:09 PM
Interesting. What tubes did you end up liking the most in the Kaiju?
Sorry for the late reply.
My preference goes to KR Audio, have a slight edge over Emmision labs.
I have not heard Takatsukis or Original/New WE.
Yet.. whats included in the kit (ElectroHarmonix) is very good for the price.
Rather than saying goodbye to 1500usd in exhange with a matched  pair, I would go and upgrade the coupling caps. More impact than tubes imo