xr out of Beepre 2

denteom · 1847

Offline denteom

on: March 16, 2023, 03:31:38 AM
Can the XLR out of the beepre 2 drive power amps through its' XLR in?  My power amp does not have a sound output when I connect it to xlr to xlr.  But using the RCA out of the Beepre 2 and connecting it to the XLR in of the poweramp using a cable with XLR - RCA drives the power amp properly.
I don't think the XLR out of the the Beepre 2 is the problem, because connecting the Beepre 2 XLR out to a headphone amp with XLR in, plays nicely.
My power amp is a Class D amp Purifi.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 06:14:28 AM
We use the pin #2 hot configuration for all of our XLR jacks, and I suspect the Purifi may be expecting the opposite.  You can reverse pins 2 and 3 on one end of each of your XLR cables or build a very short pair of adapter cables to make this swap available for you.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 06:35:34 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 07:53:10 AM
Man oh man, I have dropped the ball on getting the schematics into the BeePre2 output upgrade manual. Apologies, PB sent it to me months ago. I will get that incorporated.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 11:09:12 AM
Man oh man, I have dropped the ball on getting the schematics into the BeePre2 output upgrade manual. Apologies, PB sent it to me months ago. I will get that incorporated.
I made a few corrections on these last week, so it's not the end of the world.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 04:39:37 AM
I looked at the Manual of Purifi XLR configuration Pin 2 is positive on their configuration.  Do  I still switch the wire (Red and White) from Pin 2 to 3 and the resistor it from Pin3 to Pin 2? Does hot mean positive? Sorry not used to electronic terms.
Thanks for updating the manual, how do I download the updated version?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 09:23:11 AM
I would still try doing this outside the preamp if possible.  Here is another option:
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/pair-neutrik-rca-to-xlr-adapter/

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 06:53:46 PM
I looked at the Manual of Purifi XLR configuration Pin 2 is positive on their configuration.  Do  I still switch the wire (Red and White) from Pin 2 to 3 and the resistor it from Pin3 to Pin 2? Does hot mean positive? Sorry not used to electronic terms.
Thanks for updating the manual, how do I download the updated version?
I also checked the Purifi manual, and agree; I also looked at a block diagram to confirm it's a true differential circuit. In that case it should work fine with the BP2 XLR output. Reversing pins 2 and 3 should simply reverse the phase of the signal.

Which leads me to wonder if the problem is in the cable and/or the Purify XLR connection.

Paul Joppa

Offline denteom

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 05:46:02 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I'll just build my own xlr cable to see if things will work out, and if still don't work I could flip the positive between 2 and 3 on the xlr cable if it won't work.
Question: Is cable length a problem on XLR? I have read XLR can have longer cables compared to RCA?

Doc B. hope I can also get a copy of the updated manual for the output upgrade,  I noticed some parts not clear to me but things worked out fine after looking at the photos.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 08:45:24 AM
I would also add that I occasionally use the balanced inputs on some ICEpower monoblocks from a BeePre with no issues.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denteom

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 05:26:06 AM
Thanks guys. You were right it was the xlr cable, maybe it was not making good contact.  I used a new Neutrik type xlr connectors, it plugged more snugly.
My previous xlr cable worked well with my solid state pre amp though. I'll keep that for microphone use.
My Beepre 2 functionality is now complete.
Doc B. When will the updated output upgrade manual be out for download? I'd also like to have a copy of that, as the copy I have does not have the schematics.

Offline PT

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 06:38:49 AM
Where could we get the beepre2 output upgrade schematics? That would be nice to have

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 11:14:47 AM
We're working on having the updated manual with schematics ready to go in the next couple of days. I'll let everyone know when we have it together, at which point current owers of the upgrade can email us for a download link to the updated manual.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 10:40:02 AM
The revised BeePre2 Output Upgrade manual with schematics is done. New orders should automatically get a link to download this revision. If you already have a BeePre2 output upgrade and would like the revised version of the manual with the schematics email us at [email protected] and we will send you a download link once we verify your purchase.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.