Is connecting a moreplay to a crack a good idea?

EmiTo · 1897

Offline EmiTo

on: June 03, 2023, 11:17:44 AM
I'm thinking about getting a moreplay, mainly because i want a tube sound in my speaker system but also because I don't want to get another dac or plug and unplug the crack I have to my DAC.
So my plan is to get a moreplay and connect it to my power amp and also to my crack, and then i can switch the output between them but maybe that will increase the noise floor or something.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 11:36:04 AM
You're going to ad a bunch of gain into the system that you don't need, but you could wire the second set of output jacks on the Moreplay as a tape output and feed that into the Crack to give you source selection at least.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline EmiTo

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 04:41:19 PM
I see, thanks for the answer doc!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 04:29:34 AM
When you build the kit, there will be an extra green/blue set of wires in the CAT5 for the input wiring.  On the selector switch end, those would wire to the center switches to capture the tape output, then on the other end of the preamp you would move the green/blue CAT5 connections already there to the jacks closest to the power entry module, then wire in your new green/blue wires to the now empty pair of jacks. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline milesahead

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 09:27:17 AM
You're going to ad a bunch of gain into the system that you don't need, but you could wire the second set of output jacks on the Moreplay as a tape output and feed that into the Crack to give you source selection at least.

Interesting. Would this work passively (ie when moreplay is turned off)? Or would we need to turn it on, for the tape source to pass through?

Context: I am also considering building a Moreplay, and was curious how it will play with the Crack and the rest of my setup (DAC / Turntable)  :D

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 12:00:10 PM
Yes, the tape out will work with the Moreplay off.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dzrout

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 01:22:26 PM
I plan  on using this tape out so I can use the Moreplay as a passive input switcher so I can feed the AUX input on a different integrated amp when I choose to listen to that one instead of the Moreplay, Will leaving this tape out connected to other the integrated amp cause sound quality issues when listening to the Moreplay?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 02:58:07 PM
That will depend rather substantially on the input impedance of your integrated amp and the output impedance of any sources you have.  Having things setup like this will provide a little bit of additional load on your sources, but it's unlikely to be audible unless your source output impedances are really high or you have an integrated with low input impedance (some are 10K) and marginal source output impedances.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dzrout

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 04:19:23 PM
Input impedance on the integrated is 47K. I suppose I could switch it as I’ll only be using one at a time. We can call it a “passive” output. Lol

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 05:22:56 AM
I suspect at 47K that you aren't going to have any issues.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dzrout

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 11:02:56 AM
Thank you Paul. I ran some signal wire from
The output of the input selector to a 4 pole switch then to another set of RCAs. I can turn them off if needed.

This works great. Now I can share my components between my Tube system and my SS system. Thank you again!