Crackling and static in the right channel [resolved]

Cowwe · 4877

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #60 on: January 15, 2024, 05:43:29 AM
After hours of testing with my tubes and his, my power chord and his, and no source attached, my kit never made a noise. I
What source was he using? What source are you using? What cables was he using? What cables are you using? 

There's a whole lot ahead of the Crack that can make noises like these. 

Do you happen to have ethernet over powerline converters where you're trying to use your Crack?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Cowwe

Reply #61 on: January 15, 2024, 07:37:19 AM
What source was he using? What source are you using? What cables was he using? What cables are you using? 

There's a whole lot ahead of the Crack that can make noises like these. 

Do you happen to have ethernet over powerline converters where you're trying to use your Crack?
No source at all (simply plugging the amp to an outlet and headphones creates the noise). We have tested both my power cord and his. We have also used the same pair of headphones.

If you're referring to devices similar to wifi range extenders or repeaters then no, I don't have any at my place. I'm not sure what the term is, but I have my ethernet connected to my house's telephone line.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #62 on: January 16, 2024, 01:18:15 PM
Was the tech using your headphones when the Crack worked without any noise? If he was using different headphones and not hearing noise it might be that the plug on your headphones has some sort of contact issue with the Crack headphone jack. I apologize for not having read through the entire thread to see if you have tried different headphones.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Cowwe

Reply #63 on: January 16, 2024, 07:03:46 PM
Was the tech using your headphones when the Crack worked without any noise? If he was using different headphones and not hearing noise it might be that the plug on your headphones has some sort of contact issue with the Crack headphone jack. I apologize for not having read through the entire thread to see if you have tried different headphones.
I have already tried a number of different headphones and cables, yeah.
And no need to apologize, doc. It's such a long (and probably confusing) thread that I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to just close it and open a new one with my issue laid out as clear as possible.

Offline Cowwe

Reply #64 on: January 27, 2024, 03:48:36 AM
Brief update: looking for a solution to my issue, I had been suggested that there would be a possibility of the volume potentiometer being the culprit to my noise. I thought that trying wouldn't hurt, so I went and replaced the stock potentiometer with an Alps Blue Velvet, but this didn't make the noise disappear.
I guess now I know for sure it's not the potentiometer, at least.

Offline Cowwe

Reply #65 on: February 07, 2024, 09:39:53 AM
Finally, I bring good news.
After replacing output capacitors and testing the 3k ohm wirewound resistors, it turns out what was producing the noise was the 22k ohm resistor on the right channel.
Replacing that completely got rid of the noise.
The problem has been solved. I am at peace.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #66 on: February 07, 2024, 12:20:14 PM
I have seen that once when a 22.1K resistor was installed very tightly against the terminal strip, which made an intermittent crack in the resistor.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man