Completed First Crack Build-- [resolved]

Emoreigns · 1439

Offline Emoreigns

on: November 20, 2023, 06:19:12 AM
Completed my first Crack Build Last Night-

All Voltage and Resistance measurements came out right on the nose. I AM very excited to borrow my brother DAC and nice headphones and give it a listen tonight. I will update on the sound quality and my observations later tonight.

So excited- I had to share this first build with the world on the forum!

Got the crack stacked on top of my old Silvertone 1939 Model 6425 Magic Green Eye radio-- All tested and ready to go!!!

Cheers-
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 08:09:29 AM by Paul Birkeland »

~Happy Listening

Offline Mucker

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 01:27:32 PM
Nice clean build. Great job! What headphones are you going to use with it?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 10:12:19 AM
If you end up having issues getting that amp to pass signal, I would immediately be suspicious of those RCA jacks potentially creating a short across certain RCA plugs.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 08:25:01 AM
@Paul Birkeland- All the volts.amps checks passed- But I am getting some occasional static/ distortion that can make listening unpleasant. Do you think this is the source Paul? Sure do appreciate the help and response on this, as I was just going to open up another thread.

Thanks-EE

~Happy Listening

Offline Cary

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 10:13:30 AM
Very nice build!

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 05:39:56 AM
Thanks Cary-

Having some static/ distortion noises. Going to go through and heat up any dull appearing joints tonight, and hope that does the trick.

Cheers + Happy Listening

~Happy Listening

Offline Deluk

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 08:55:48 AM
Have you done the diode mod on the power in socket?

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 06:11:14 AM
Deluk-

I have not heard of this??

~Happy Listening

Offline Deluk

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 11:48:14 AM
I'm going to try to heat up any dull joints I may have and reflow them and see if that takes care of the problem- If not I will implement this modification and report back.

Thanks,

~Happy Listening

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 06:02:06 AM
Update on the First Crack Build-

About a week ago I went through and reflowed any joints that appeared to be dull- After an hour or so session of that I re-tested and plugged the amp in- Same Problem of static and distortion-

So I got a little frustrated and just left it for a couple days while I read up on the forums. I decided I would try with the chopstick probing method recommended here before I went ahead and installed the RFI diode bridge to see if that would help.

Upon probing for 15 mintutes I found the wire that was the problem! Only 2 of the 3 wires were well encapsulated with solder- So I re-flowed that joint and I've been testing and listening to my Crack for hours and hours with none of the same problems what so ever. Just pure silence when there is no audio playing, and between songs. No need to install the diode bridge; at least at this time & with this location.

So, so happy about this!! Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all the support! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions on here, just as soon as my new kit I bought on the Black Friday sale comes;) or I try to install the Speedball attachment-

Cheers + Happy Listening + Thanks again everyone

-EE

~Happy Listening

Offline Cary

Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 11:16:54 AM
Congrats on the troubling shooting and the build!

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 05:52:01 AM
Thanks Cary! Much appreciated- Was not super confident going in; but I am incredibly proud now :)

And I have a new found hobby and passion!

Cheers-

~Happy Listening

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 11:40:17 AM
Soldered up my first PCBs for the Speedball upgrade! They seem to have came together real well- All voltage checks pass, and the upgrade sounds great!

I've got the confidence to begin building my PreBee 2 now!

For anyone out there wondering, the PCB soldering is not too difficult and the upgrade makes a big difference from the stock crack IMO-

Had to share some pics! I think it came out pretty clean- Hope everyone is staying dry and warm. It is coming down here in California!

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 12:15:41 PM
Looking tidy!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man