Re: Power cords

Doc B. · 21388

Offline JC

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 07:15:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to look into it, Grainger.

You know, at one time I actually tried to figure out why my computer did or did not do something.  That was more back in the DOS days.

Now, with all the permutations available with combinations of software and add-ons and little gremlins that run in the background, I feel happy when I can just get it to do what I want!

(BTW, the spell-patrol on this site apparently doesn't like the word "combinations" !)

And, they want us to put our music on these things...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:29:57 AM by JC »

Jim C.

Offline bobster

Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 07:30:13 AM
We've been tying up a lot of loose ends at the office this afternoon, so the cord kits will not be shipping until Monday.

Doc,

How do you order a kit?  Can't seem to find that on the site.  Thanks.

Bob

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 10:03:08 AM
Don't have an order page quite yet. The kits that are shipping are the beta kits we promised to the first few who ordered the new Stereomour. Hope to have the pricing sorted and an order page up early next week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:37 PM
Don't have an order page quite yet. The kits that are shipping are the beta kits we promised to the first few who ordered the new Stereomour. Hope to have the pricing sorted and an order page up early next week.

Good to know, gonna need one for the Stereomour, Seduction and the other Paramount!!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline coca

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 04:00:44 PM
Congrats Doc. I will try one. I have hade similar experinces with DIY braided recipes that I used a lot. I used heavier gauge wire though and there was copper shield used as weii. So it was more involved. It was a recipe I had gotten from the Glass audio mag.

Bernie,

Offline Geek

• Tube Geek
    • Classic Valve Design
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:21 PM
I am particularly impressed and amused with the part about not coming up with some far fetched theory like cable manufactures.

This is a major reason I highly respect Bottlehead products - no magic, no mysticism, no B.S., it just works.

Cheers!

-= Gregg =-
Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines.
Work: Classic Valve Design
Home: GeeK ZonE

Offline sl-15

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 07:55:05 PM
Doc,
The system you were testing the power cords in, is that connected straight to the wall outlet or does it go through some power conditioner first? I run my system without any power conditioner and am wondering if a cord upgrade can make a difference that way or if it only makes sense to use in conjunction with a conditioner.

Thanks,
Stefan
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:58:06 PM by sl-15 »

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:51 AM
We have not tried the cord with a power conditioner. I don't know if one has an effect upon the other.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:19:13 PM
I have a question.  A number of us Bottleheads have shelves, book cases or racks that fit close to the wall.  I don't know of a manufacturer of substantial AC plugs where the plug is close to the wall.  I have seen some extension cords that have octagonal plugs with the cord exiting parallel to the wall at a 7:00 position.  This plug doesn't interfere with other plugs/cords and allows the furniture in front of it to be reasonably close to the wall.

Audio cables are almost always stiff.  The bulky AC plugs are also, often deep.  See the example below pulled from a manufacturer's site.  The plug pictured below and cord would not allow a case 5 inches in front of it due to the depth of the plug and the stiffness of the wire.

Why not a flat plug with the cord exiting at an angle and parallel to the wall?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:47:30 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 04:02:57 AM
Grainger,

The Wattgate 320i male plugs have an optional 90 degree backshell that you can install in any of 8 or so orientations to the plug.  I have used these behind my rack where there is little room to work with, and they work very nicely.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 06:27:07 AM
Wattgate 330i for an AC plug perhaps? I'm chuckling, it costs damn near as much as our whole kit! Which reminds me - we've been moving so many of these cords (I think about 30 are shipping today or tomorrow) that I suspect we only have wire left for maybe 10 or 20 more. After that we will have to purchase more wire, and we won't be able to justify eating that wire cost to recover from a goof like we did on the initial run. What that means is the price will have to go up a few bucks on the next production run. Ordering a cord from tail end of this initial run might save you $5.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:09 AM
Ok, Wattgate immediately brought up the image of high dollar.  While I appreciate the reference, it is not likely I will invest in one.  But the point was that the high end, even the Bottlehead affordable and usable, power cords are a bad idea for behind furniture. 

Doc, I find it amusing that you need to repeat a purchase that initially was a mistake.  It is GREAT! 

Congratulations!

Offline DrewTube

Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 06:34:10 AM
I was seriously skeptical, but I took the plunge and ordered two of the power cord kits for my Eros and Extended Foreplay III.  I am running this all through a power conditioner (APC S15), but I must say that I hear a difference...it's subtle, but A/B comparison tells me the difference is real.  Bass is tighter, mids a bit more forward and better imaged (especially vocals), and more "air" on the high end (all relative to vinyl via the Eros then EFPII).  Again, I emphasize this is subtle, but I'm glad I dropped the dough...good value as far as upgrades go.

One quick question....I haven't put the heat shrinks on yet...I notice the connection of the cords to the plugs is purely physical...is there any advantage or disadvantage to trying to put a little solder in there?

Thanks all!

Andrew

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 07:05:49 AM
I would suggest leaving the connections as compression connections. I don't know that the plastic in the plugs will handle the heat, the connections aren't really designed as solder terminals, and the strain reliefs offered by the clamps and the sticky, rigid heat shrink should keep the cord from getting loose connections.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 05:08:08 PM
Built two cords yesterday and they are burning in with my Paramounts now.  Very easy kit with great instructions. Thanks guys!

Aaron Johnson