Re: Power cords

Doc B. · 21403

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:27 AM
Just curious, but will the second run of these kits come with the Red-White-Black like the original or will you guys move over to the standard AC colors?

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 09:33:44 AM
Also Grainger, I was snooping around and I found a Hubbell plug on Part-Connexion. Hospital grade Right angle for $29. It flips the wrong way though, pointing the wire straight up on a normal outlet.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/ac_hubbell.html

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:10 AM
Max,

Hey, Thanks!  I can use one plug on top that has a 90 degree exit.  Now if I can figure out how to rotate the male portion of the plug 180 degrees I can use on on the top outlet and the bottom.  There is often a peg on the plug portion that fits into a notch in the casing.  I might be able to make a notch at 180 degrees or just 90 degrees.

You know it only makes sense but the big house suppliers I checked didn't have a thing like this.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

Offline JC

Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:13 AM
Actually, I think that plug is probably correct.  I believe the "correct" way of installing the outlet is with the ground sockets to the top.  At least, that seems to be the way licensed electricians always install them.

I think the idea is, between having ground on top and the ground pin on the plug being longer than the others, you stand a better chance of engaging the ground before the power when plugging something in.

Jim C.

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:57 AM
I think it's just in case the plug is pulled slightly out of the socket, if something conductive like a knife drops on it, you'd rather have it land on the safety ground rather than across the hot and neutral prongs.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline JC

Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 11:01:06 AM
Sure, could very well be something just like that.  They always have a reason somewhere along the line.

Jim C.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:18 AM
Jim and HF9, yes, that is the preferred way to install an outlet, however I don't believe it is a code violation to do it the other way, and at least in our home, it seems most of them are installed with the ground lug down, except for the half-hot outlets, which are inverted so you know they are switched.

Kaiser also makes a right angle female IEC that will exit to thr right side of the bh amps -- has the ground lug furthest from the cable exit.  I prefer the orientation of the female iec plug that BH includes with the cable kit though.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:07 AM
JC and HF9,

I am working on the electrical wiring crew for Habitat For Humanity here.  There are no less than 4 licensed electricians on the crew.  All outlets are installed ground down.  Go figure!  

If you look at a PS Audio Power Port ($50 duplex outlet) Power Port Premier ($100 duplex outlet) or the Soloist ($200 in wall power conditioner) all the text is right side up when you have the ground on the bottom.

I am not sure there is a hard fast rule.  I know it isn't in the NEC as Jim points out.  

I guess I am just "used to" seeing an outlet look like a face.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:49:20 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline JC

Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 12:08:18 PM
Yeah, guys, I certainly don't pretend to know the code on the matter, I'm only reporting what I see.

You must admit, though, that that hospital-grade plug might just be indicative of something.   Hospitals are more serious about the safety grounds on things than any place I know. 

Jim C.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41:15 PM
As I understand it..... being a hospital worker that is... Hospital grade AC plugs are a bit beefier, making them less likely to become accidentally unplugged.  To us audio freaks that also means better contact in the AC outlet (more surface area, thicker contacts).

Offline shelby1420

Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 08:13:46 AM
Just ordered my next three power cord kits, now to wait.....................

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:27 AM
Hey Grainger. Kind of an afterthought, but I was just looking at those right-angle Hubbell hospital plugs and in their catalog it says that they are 8-position. So you could do 45 degree increments of anywhere you pleased. Knowing Hubbell's product quality, and compared to the purely audio brands, this plug seems like a good deal.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 01:20:46 PM
I agree, Hubbel is an industry standard supplier for power connection devices.  Wherever I have worked the heavy duty connections and day to day AC plugs were all Hubbel.  The short extension cords from MCM will have to do me in the mean time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:26:26 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 01:35:48 PM
The lab I work in has almost entirely Hubbell and Amphenol connectors. My boss takes pride in what we use on the equipment.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline JC

Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:23 PM
Yes, Maxwell_E, when I run the shop we always use Hubbell dead-front plugs on everything.  I swear, you can run over them with a fork-lift and barely scuff them.

I only ever had trouble with one of their later, cheaper models, the clamps for the individual conductors would unscrew themselves over time.  Just got into the habit of replacing them with the dead-fronts straight away.

Jim C.