Eros phono final voltage test fail [resolved]

Nitsua08 · 921

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 06:50:28 AM
Yes, you can reach out to replacementparts(at)Bottlehead(Dot)com to ask about a replacement.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nitsua08

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2024, 07:59:07 AM
Well, I ordered a 6922 on Amazon so I could fiddle with it over the weekend. I put in a fresh 2N222 before running the test. Popped in the new 6922, and I’m still getting the same voltages.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2024, 08:51:08 AM
Can you show me what the bottom of the PC board looks like now?  If you swap EF86s between sides, do the problematic voltages move?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Nitsua08

Reply #18 on: February 18, 2024, 11:42:12 AM
I did try swapping the EF86 and it didn't make a difference. Here's a few updated photos. Tried to get the best light I could.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2024, 12:41:09 PM
Here's another example of a joint on that board that isn't soldered.

Please reheat all of the solder joints on this board that don't have LEDs poking through them.  You may again have to replace the 2N2222 transistor on that side.  I will reiterate that I have seen this exact same problem a few times and had to take these kits in on repair, and it is always flaky solder joints and a dead 2N2222 transistor, and occasionally the tubes will be damaged in the process depending on where the flaky joints are.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Nitsua08

Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 04:26:34 PM
Ugh, I heated up every solder joint on the board (minus LEDs) and resoldered any suspicious looking spots. Still, exact same voltages. At this point, what’s the cheaper option, ordering a new PC board and parts, or sending the unit it? Unless there isn’t something we’ve checked yet.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2024, 06:12:21 AM
That is up to you.  I can take this in for repair, but I will just flow out the joints on your board and be sure your tube set is working properly. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Nitsua08

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 08:21:26 AM
So I ordered a new board and components thinking maybe I damaged the board while soldering/desoldering the joints , removing and reinstalling components. I finished the new board and was extremely careful to ensure good joints. Still the exact same voltages.

I’m confident I can rule out poor solder joints on the board at this point. Is it possible anything upstream is the problem. All previous voltage and resistance test up to the C4S board have passed.  So can we assume the problem is narrowed down to the area near/under the C4S board?  Bad socket or resistor? 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 11:49:39 AM
If the voltage coming into the front C4S board from the rear regulator board is correct (around 220V), then that's the upstream stuff that could throw things off downstream.  I would suspect there's a flaky solder joint on a socket or terminal strip at work here.  Occasionally you will also find that debris can get into the socket and that will show as a dead short between two adjacent socket pins (though pins 4 and 5 on the front three sockets will show this anyway if any tubes are plugged in, so you can ignore that).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Nitsua08

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 03:24:00 AM
Ok, that’s what I figured. Voltage coming into the board is fine, around 220. I’ll look into cleaning up areas around the socket pins.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 05:53:13 AM
I got this Eros on my bench and found that everything was in its proper place, but there were a few broken wires, a solder joint or two that needed extra heat, a few terminals touching on the D socket, and possibly a 2N2222 that had given up during the testing phase.  All is well now with this Eros after some new wires and reflowing most of the PC board joints.

Paul "PB" Birkeland