Not sure how I missed this

Doc B. · 390

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: February 12, 2024, 08:52:55 AM
Put on one of my favorite blues guitarists, Ronnie Earl, on Tidal. Somehow I had missed that one of the songs on the great the Duke meets the Earl album is this rendition of A Soul That's Been Abused with none other than Mighty Sam McClain singing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21:08 AM
Wow Doc. That's really something. And the rest of the album is great too

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 12:31:25 PM
I usually don't dig the blues(they bring me down :D) but I must say this recording is good.

Lee R.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 04:54:16 AM
Hey ya'll,

Haven't been on the forum in quite some time, but what a great surprise to find this!  That was an amazing recording.  The style/playing sounded a lot like Stevie Rae Vaughn.

Dave

Offline jgarr4714

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 06:04:39 PM
Great music, not sure how I missed this one, also.  The ensemble is superb, tight and with it. I love that Hammond B3 sound, I grew up in a home with a B3 and learned a lot playing on it, even though it was not my main instrument.  Thanks, Doc, keep’em coming.

Jim Garrett

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 06:38:55 AM
We had a B3 when I was a kid too. And until a few years ago I had a Hammond model E that Jacqui Naylor gave me. I modded that one with percussion from an M3 and had a tall boy Leslie and two Hammond tone cabinets with oil reverb connected. As with every time I've tried to play an instrument I failed to stay with it. But I sure love to hear a good B3 player. Possibly my favorite album that we put out in the Tape Project catalog was Jimmy Smith's The Sermon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.