Crack 1.1 with speedball 110v to 220v or use a step down transformer

Moimanuh · 3652

Offline Moimanuh

Hi all, I purchased a pre built bottlehead crack 1.1 with speedball and it didnt come with a manual. So I would like to know if it can be converted from 110v to 220v or is it better to use a step down transformer? I have attached a picture so that we are 100% confirmed that it's a 1.1 version.Thank you

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yes, that's a Crack 1.1.  Yes, you can covert it to run on 220, 230, or 240V.  Yours is wired for 120V for what it's worth, not 110V.

You can e-mail [email protected] to ask about purchasing a replacement Crack manual. 

That kit does look to be very, very nicely made.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 02:47:56 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Moimanuh

Yes, that's a Crack 1.1.  Yes, you can covert it to run on 220, 230, or 240V.  Yours is wired for 120V for what it's worth, not 110V.

You can e-mail [email protected] to ask about purchasing a replacement Crack manual. 

That kit does look to be very, very nicely made.

So I have the manual, but I am not sure how to do it, could you give me the page no. of the relevant topic in the manual, I dont see an option for 220v in the manual.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The table of contents lists the voltage ranges right about in the middle. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Moimanuh

The table of contents lists the voltage ranges right about in the middle.

Thanks found it. it looks fairly simple. Just to clarify is it okay if i put above 235v config but use it in areas with 220v- 230v? also apart from changing the wires to the different terminals, does it need any other changes? Thank you

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
If you live in an area that's 220-230V, then you would use the configuration for greater than 225V and less than 235V. 

Just rewiring the primary of the power transformer is all that's required.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Moimanuh

If you live in an area that's 220-230V, then you would use the configuration for greater than 225V and less than 235V. 

Just rewiring the primary of the power transformer is all that's required.
Thanks. I will mostly be traveling through Europe, Uk and Asia for a while so would want it to work there. Sometime it might be 240v, so thought of going with the high voltage way.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Sometimes 240V but mostly 230V operation would really be fine on the 230V nominal configuration. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Moimanuh

Sometimes 240V but mostly 230V operation would really be fine on the 230V nominal configuration.

Thanks. I will be going with the 235v max setting then. Also do we need to upgrade the fuse or the default one is good enough?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
You can leave the fuse as-is. It's more amperage than you need on 220+ volts, but it's still such a small value that you'll still get adequate protection.

Paul "PB" Birkeland