Awwww, c'mon... a power cord? YES.

dstrimbu · 28541

4krow

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:59 PM
I just have to chime in here. It is true that all cables make a difference in a system(for better or worse). For whatever reason some cables sound better in some systems. Of course, there are a variety of reasons for this and I don't want to get into all of that now. Suffice it to say that what sounds best to you is ALWAYS the right choice. Being more of an experimenter than anything else, I tried a 'no no'. It is about 19ga. silver plated copper wire. There is a solid, small gauge speaker cable with really thin insulation that is remarkable. Because I am using balanced power, I am only asking it to handle 60V per conductor on a piece of equipment that draws less than 3 amps. Seem overboard to use more than this, but I never judge until I've tried something first. So far, I like it but am always open to suggestions.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
I was sold on upgraded power cables when I made one out of Romex, as a experiment.  To my surprise, it made a big difference (mostly for the worse).  If your not convinced, try this cheap experiment.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:23:36 PM
I had wondered about Romex since it goes all around my house in the walls.  Thanks for the report.  I already believe in upgraded wires, you saved me from doing the experiment.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:39 PM
Actually that was not the result I expected, being that solid core wire is generally preferred in most applications.  The test cable was braided, and even shielded, and the results were definitely negative.  This surprised quite a bit. I'm now using CAT5, single strands several per connection twisted and shielded.  The results are very noticeable.   

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:43 PM
I guess that accounts for 3 feet of good cable making a difference when you have 30 to 100 feet of Romex between the service panel and your outlet.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:48 AM
Very interesting story on the birth of the BH power cord! I am a firm believer in the DIY cable/cord concept. I just havent bit on it - yet. I have used my same cables for years. Possibly when I get "done" tweaking other stuff. Great food for thought though! I'm sure that when I'm breathing my last breath I will be thinking "wait there is just this one last tweak"!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:58 PM
Just a head's up here...  I bought 6 of these and they just arrived:

I did a search at Mouser.  I found three right angle, male IEC plugs.  The prices
are $4.20 to $8.36 rated eitehr 10A or 16A.  They all have the cord exiting to the
right if the ground is at the top and viewed as looking into the female on the amp.

Unfortunately, either they screwed up my order or these are not the correct part -- these are meant for the other kind of chassis mount IEC socket, not the ones BH uses -- these connectors have male pins and a boot that covers them when inserted in the chassis receptacle.

Can anybody confirm this and/or tell me a part number for what I want -- what is the same kind that BH uses for their cable kit?  I can't see the pics in the catalog and most of these online electronic parts places don't have very detailed descriptions of what the parts actually are unless they refer you to a drawing or picture.

I've got a couple of cables I want to reterminate with right anbgles for convenience and to save space and stress on the cable and inlet.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline magnafuzz

Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 05:14:51 PM

Can anybody confirm this and/or tell me a part number for what I want -- what is the same kind that BH uses for their cable kit?  I can't see the pics in the catalog and most of these online electronic parts places don't have very detailed descriptions of what the parts actually are unless they refer you to a drawing or picture.

i just built up some cables using some Schurter 4784 right angle female IEC 15A.

I believe these are the same ones used for the bottlehead kit, if not, they are very close to the same and fit the receptacles in my crack and seduction. I found the plastic fit slightly loose in the receptacle that ships with the kits, a bit of single wall heatshrink around the end makes it fit a bit tighter.

I got mine from Take Five Audio for $5.29 but im sure you can find them elsewhere.

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=269

I just built up 2 cables using these with some belden 19364. I have to say i was amazed at the difference it made... i wasn't expecting it to change the sound that much but it was definitely noticeable. I made them for the right angle plugs but am going to make these cables mandatory for future builds.

Andrew T

Seduction
Crack with speedball

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 01:49:38 AM
Jim,

I too am on the list of those that bought before the price increase.  I ordered 3, nice even number.

MCM sells two kinds of right angled IEC cord connectors, one like you got by mistake and one like what you needed.  I'll dig up a link and post/email it to you.  

I think I was looking at the wrong one for a while and finally saw it was a right angled male not a female.  I find that one odd, that leaves voltage on the prongs that you could touch.  It isn't safe if it is used as I think it would be used.

I don't see a problem for me using the right angled IEC as I will also need to put in a chassis IEC connector/fuse in the back of my Paramour bases.  I can put it in whatever orientation I need.  Now where did I leave that square hole saw?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:51:39 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:32 AM
Andrew,

thanks, I'll pick some of those up and return these other ones.

Grainger, no worries, I'll just get the ones Andrew pointed to.  No biggie.

BTW, I didn't order any cables -- the one I have is the one that came with my Stereomour -- IIRC.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:13 AM
Ok, looks like there are two flavors of this connector -- the 4784.000 which is rated for 10 amps an 18 gauge wire -- I believe this is the one BH is using.  Then there is the 4874.010 which is the 15 amp version and which takes up to 14 gauge wire.

Nobody seems to stock the .010 version but lots of places have the .000 version.  Guess I should look for a different manufacturer as the cables I want to reterminate are 14 gauge.

Just thought I'd report back with what I found.

-- Jim

4krow

Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 12:12:03 PM
Funny thing about power cord connectors, i.e. the male plug. The hole in each prong came from long ago when the receptacle had a 'tit' to capture the hole and hold it in place. But of course things are different now, with a firm grip given by the receptacle. The hole remains however. So, when looking for a male end, I try to get one without the hole. Only PS Audio uses this design in commercial cords as far as I know. The connection is just as important as the carrier(wire) in my opinion.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:51 PM
Greg,

I agree, and I often even polish the prongs for a better connection -- and this is also one important reason why I like the Jena Labs 20 amp hubbel outlets -- they have greater surface area on the contacts, and have a dethgrip on the male blades.

-- Jim

Offline Yoder

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:38 PM
I often even polish the prongs for a better connection -- and this is also one important reason why I like the Jena Labs 20 amp hubbel outlets -- they have greater surface area on the contacts, and have a dethgrip on the male blades.

I was having some strange problems a couple of months ago with one of my components. After a few days of trouble shooting, I ended up taking a very fine file to the IEC prongs of the component and all worked well from then on. You would think with this unusually dry climate that that would be the last problem...maybe it's the dust!

4krow

Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 02:29:32 AM
When I lived in AZ, I thought that I was off the hook concerning metal problems like rust. I soon found that my steel tools were pitting from the pollution in the air. My lungs as well, reacteed. Now I live in WY, and my lungs and tools like it better. Even rubber bands have a life here. My point is that I feel that once polished a contact may benefit from a contact enhancer/protector.