Output Capacitor Upgrading Questions

jrihs · 130439

Offline Laudanum

Reply #45 on: July 02, 2011, 08:30:03 AM
Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered Speedball.  I dont know how long the wait is but Im done with the hardest part ... spending the money :-)

Desmond G.

Offline langendorf

Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 09:53:20 AM
Hi

I have orderet some solen caps. But i was wondering how to mount them. I have seen some plastic mounts, with dubble sided tape and cable ties. But does the tape hold up, when the topplate gets hot?

I havent been able to find them any where for sale. So if you know where to buy, please link. Ebay is prefered.

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack

Offline Grainger49

Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:37 AM
Those mounts are called "sticky backs" in construction, not the generic name or the trade name.  They were part of our installation specs but we required them to be screwed to the metal backplane.  The glue lets go after a while.  I have done a few scratch builds and I screw them down.

I still have some left over from construction so I don't know where to find them.  I'll take a look.

Found one:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=080-515
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:36:40 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline langendorf

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 11:44:18 AM
Thanks for the links

I didnt think of seaching for cable tie mounts :)

I found these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300640982275

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:13 PM
Those are very handy. They can go under an existing screw and give a good place to thread a wire tie...John

John Scanlon

Offline Mr. Davis

Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:22 PM
You can find zip tie mounts at your local hardware store.  I bought mine at Lowes.

Zip tie Mount 10 pack  $1.76
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:39:40 PM by Mr. Davis »

Perry Davis

Offline jrihs

Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 03:04:09 PM
Perfect timing guys, I think I'll go to Lowes for mine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:05:57 PM by jrihs »

John Rihs

Offline jrihs

Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 03:47:14 PM
Hi all. I just read the capacitor reviews here for the third time...http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html. A question comes to mind. Since the best we can get is probably the 100, 400v Mundorf that's rated only a 7.5... is ANY film cap an improvement over any electrolytic? I know this rating stuff is subjective, but can a great electrolytic actually be better than a mediocre film cap?  I ask in part, because there are some sonic characteristics I like about my stock caps and don't want to lose, and because the film caps in the above link that are rated 10+ or 14 is what I want....not a mediocre cap, if I got to give up anything good for other...gains. I want it all....Discussion please!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:56:13 PM by jrihs »

John Rihs

Offline langendorf

Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 01:08:42 AM
Hi all. I just read the capacitor reviews here for the third time...http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html. A question comes to mind. Since the best we can get is probably the 100, 400v Mundorf that's rated only a 7.5... is ANY film cap an improvement over any electrolytic? I know this rating stuff is subjective, but can a great electrolytic actually be better than a mediocre film cap?  I ask in part, because there are some sonic characteristics I like about my stock caps and don't want to lose, and because the film caps in the above link that are rated 10+ or 14 is what I want....not a mediocre cap, if I got to give up anything good for other...gains. I want it all....Discussion please!

Hi

You have to take to consideration, that the the purpose for the caps in that test, is for speaker crossovers. Im not shure, but i dont think that they respond the same way when used as they are in the crack.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:54 AM
Depends on how much money to want to spend.  Reading some of the Crackheads impressions of the affordable film caps ... Solen, Axon, Mundorf etc.   Most, if not all,  felt they were a worthwhile improvement.  Most seem to agree on a smoother treble, less "grain" in the upper mids and treble.  Perhaps a tighter bass.   You read about midrange "glare" from a lot of reviews for some of the affordable film caps in those crossover reviews.  Nobody seems to report that in this application.  I dont hear any at all with the Mundorf MKP's.   By all means, spend as much money as you wish on film caps.  Im sure there are sonic benefits based on indiviudal preference.  But from what I have read,  I would not completely rely on the reviews of the caps in speaker crossovers as an indicator of the same performance as an ouput cap in an amplifier.   

I think that the Mundorf caps were well worth it and would do it again in a second.  I got them during a 20% off sale too.   But the stock electrolytics arent bad at all.   Outside of the now gone Blackgates (NP's), I dont know of any electrolytics that any type of concensus would consider an upgrade over a film cap.  There is Jensen and, I think Mundorf, that have some, supposedly, higher end electrolytics that could be worth trying.  Dont know of anyone who has tried them in Crack.  Since you are leary about improvements over the stock lytics, you could consider trying the Axon 91uf (Percy has them I think).   Very reasonable in price and if you like them, then maybe consider trying "boutique" films.   Seems like Axon, Solen and Mundorf MKP are all "safe" bets for improvement based on cost and feedback here on the forum.

Desmond G.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:49 AM
I talked with Jim about this a while back.  He's a Black Gate fan.  I think it was the non-polarized Black Gates that were most popular in this type of application.  Tough to find any remaining and expensive.  I have a couple 150uf BG's that I considered trying.  But they are the polarized types that were used more in power supplies.  So, I saved them for something else.

Desmond G.

Offline jrihs

Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:38 AM
Thanks again guys. I would love to here a review of the BG's in the crack!

till then I'll save up for the mundorfs 400v....or 250v....hmmm

John Rihs

Offline Laudanum

Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:45 AM
If you are talking about the Mundorf MKP's I went with 250V.  A little smaller and little less money.  If there are any sonic differences between the 2 voltages, I doubt my ears would hear them.

Desmond G.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #58 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:59 PM

Hi

You have to take to consideration, that the the purpose for the caps in that test, is for speaker crossovers. Im not shure, but i dont think that they respond the same way when used as they are in the crack.

Hi all - as far as electrolytics I have been happy with the Elna Silmic ll. Cheap and smooth. If you are going to spend some big bucks go for good film caps such as high grade Mundorf's (silver/oil, silver-gold/oil) but these will be limited to about 10uf and how much money you have in your bank account. I am using silver/oils in both speaker and electronics. Power supply caps you have to be careful about picking a cap that can handle the voltage. I have experimented with other "highly rated" caps from the above review (amp Ohm aluminum paper/oil, Jantzen Superior Z, Obbligatto Gold). All good in there own way. If I could do it over I would bite the bullet and buy the Mundorf silver/oils and not look back. I now have my speakers crossed over with 10uf Amp Ohm paper/oils and bypassed with the Mundorf 2.2uf silver/oils. Bypassing with the Mundorfs I did on a whim, and it made a LARGE difference (smooth, coherent, increased definition, decreased fatigue). I wonder what a 10uf would sound like.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, 02:09:23 PM
Let's get this out in the open.  A review is one man's opinion.  If there were perfect caps there wouldn't be any others on the market.

I have often said, written, that caps are like spicing.  Some guys like jalapeno peppers some like ada vada.   

So you end up taking some one else's taste with a grain of salt.

I have heard some high dollar caps in my amps that I didn't like and other Bottleheads did like them in the same circuit.  It depends on what you listen to the most.  Not every cap will give you extension on both ends of the music scale, increased presence in the midrange, improved images and soundstage.  Matter of fact no cap has done that for me.  You find what you like and go from there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:37:58 AM by Grainger49 »