Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 237640

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #270 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:33 PM
In my setup I had the cones facing each other (with the rack of gear inbetween noless) and they were 5 feet apart or less.

I was originally going to set mine up like that. But I was forced into a compromised listening space for now. Therefore I'm unable to bring the subs away from the wall enough. We shall see. With a little experimentation I'm sure I'll be able to figure out an acceptable positioning arrangement. Thanks Jim.

BTW did you see my comments regarding the MyDac and ALIX music server?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #271 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:57 PM
Hi Tom,

Yes, sure did see the comments about the Alix and mydac.  I'll be staying tuned to that for sure.

BTW, not to get too far astray here, but I finally got my iPad Mini and the Zag mini-9 keyboard all setup and was playing with MOG last night and was very pleasantly surprised at how good the streaming 320 kbps files sounded with my Sennheiser PX-100 IIi headphones directly plugged into the headphone jack on the iPad.  Not top tier sound for sure, but really quite decent.  Also, my iFi usb power box, headamp and dac all shipped today, so soon I can use the iPad mini directly into that setup through the camera connection kit and I expect the sound quality to take a big leap.  AND if folks have not checked out MOG yet, I strongly suggest taking it for a test run -- best streaming service I've ever encountered and by a country mile, no contest.

Now back to speakers...

Hey Doc, can Blumnenstein get their own sub forum like MQ?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #272 on: January 23, 2013, 03:26:20 PM
Tom,

Probably room dependent and how far the sides of the subs are to the side walls.  My guess and experience is that 5 feet is ok but you should try it both ways.  These don't require forklifts to move around like a lot of subs out there.

In my setup I had the cones facing each other (with the rack of gear inbetween noless) and they were 5 feet apart or less.

Dear Jim; I tried that, but thought the subs were interacting with the tubes on my amp, so I fired the subs away from each other as there are no walls close by and they sound terrific now. I am lucky that there is an open doorway for the right channel to fire into and no bad first reflection points to muddy the image. Check the photo....

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #273 on: January 23, 2013, 03:31:26 PM
Hey Hank,

Yes, I'm planning on the subs facing out (with the Nagas) in the listening room even though I still haven't decided if I'm going to leave the rack between the speakers or move it over closer to the listening chair.

If I could see the pic, I'd be happy to look at it :-) (I'm totally blind.)

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Hank Murrow

Reply #274 on: January 23, 2013, 03:52:22 PM
Hey Jim, I forgot who I was talking with. Sometimes I wish I had a remote volume control, but it is only a few steps to the preamp. Anyway, I am sure you have a strong mental image of your system, as I have for mine. If we ever get together in my room, you can fondle all you like, and PB created many felicitous details to fondle!

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline rif

Reply #275 on: January 28, 2013, 05:30:17 AM
Has anyone tried an Orca sub for home theater duties?  I am concerned that it appears to use a 6" woofer (could be wrong about this) instead of a more traditional larger subwoofer driver. I have no concerns about its musical ability, but what about explosions, etc. you get in movies?

I am exchanging emails with Clark. Just looking for others feedback before spending not insignificant sums of money.

I currently use Orcas for L/R/C channels with a pretty good Dayton titanic subwoofer. I will be using it with Audyssey room correction.

-david

Offline Grainger49

Reply #276 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:27 AM
I can't control myself this morning.  This is not a direct answer to your question. 

Considering what an under 3" diaphragm (3" nominal) does in the Orca, the 6" sub will do fine.  I am looking at dual subs and dual amps.  (If the funding comes through)

My Boston Acoustics sub, my second sub, has been used for both my "Big Rig" and the A/V system throughout the years I have had it.  The advantage of a smaller, and similar cone being used for the sub is that the transient response will more closely match. 

Trust me, I started with an 18" sub, with a 16" piston capable of an acoustic watt.  That is kick you in the pants volume.  The problem is that this big a woofer didn't match the transients of full range electrostatic speakers it was matched to.  There was always a discontinuity in the music.  Kick, yes!  Coherence of the Orca, never.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:33:41 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Demsy

Reply #277 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:31 PM
I tried asking this to Clark and Molly, but got no reply, busy sanding??
I ordered a pair of the Orcas in late December but did not order the stands due to the high shipping cost of it, the same with the subwoofers. My questions were, the height of the stand and a recommendation of subwoofer designs.
As for the stand height, should we have the tweeter at the exact height or is slightly below better than slightly higher ot it doesn't really matter?
There are so many DIY subwoofer design out there, are there designs that most likely will be a good companion for the Orca? Or even ready made subs that you guys that have used it with Orcas and feel it's a good match?
Thanks.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #278 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:06 PM

The problem is that this big a woofer didn't match the transients of full range electrostatic speakers it was matched to.  There was always a discontinuity in the music.  Kick, yes!  Coherence of the Orca, never.

Hey Granger - I have had that experience with my planars as well. My solution was to move the sub close to the listening position and play with the phase until it was 'right'. Of course, good quick power to the sub is essential. I use class D. Very good for bass IMO.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Hank Murrow

Reply #279 on: January 30, 2013, 05:48:17 PM
I had the Orcas standing on top of the BUF Subs for some months, but after a visit to BHeadquarters and an extended listening session to the big system there I decided that a little below ear height of the Orcas in my room yielded a 'lower balcony' presentation. Since I wanted an 'orchestra floor' presentation, I asked Clark & Molly to make me a pair of risers to elevate the Orcas five inches. Soon I will find out if that creates the presentation I am looking for; and I will post a followup after listening. Audio, like Life, is made up of continuous adjustments___ accompanied by the hope that they are graceful. Cheers, Hank

Offline Demsy

Reply #280 on: January 30, 2013, 06:48:37 PM
Hank, that's interesting. Please keep us posted with the outcome. I still have time to build my own stands, there is a delay in delivery according to the latest email from Molly.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #281 on: January 30, 2013, 09:49:34 PM
I had intended to eventually get the Orcas at ear height.  Right now I approximate that with a lower stand and tilting them backward so they fire at my ears.

The Orcas are the first speaker that have given me distinct heights in music.  One piece of rock portrayed the drum set low as it should be.  The guitars were higher than I usually hear them and the voice a distinct 2 feet higher.  Very interesting.  With the front to back and side to side clarity they bring to me they are adding the final dimension.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:34:06 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #282 on: January 31, 2013, 03:40:59 AM
Grainger,

I really wanted to try the Orcas on the Mapleshade Bedrock stands myself, but I just don't have room for another system, and the pair of Orcas in the living room would have been a good candidate, but they had to go on wall brackets there as it was the only practical way to mount them in that space.

I still may try the bedrocks someday, especially since mapleshade has their 30-day return policy.  Just too many other priorities right now -- like, ahem, getting the system playing with the SR-45s.

-- Jim

Offline Demsy

Reply #283 on: January 31, 2013, 03:50:32 AM
Grainger, what subs have you ever paired with the Orca and which do you like most?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #284 on: January 31, 2013, 04:04:44 AM
I am using a Boston Acoustics VR2000 sub that I bought in the 90s.  It has served in my stereo, A/V and back to my stereo with the Triangles.

So only one sub. 

My 4000th post.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:34:30 AM by Grainger49 »