Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 233849

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 06:36:46 AM
Unfortunately we just didn't have time for all of the combos we would liked to have tried. Along with the things already mentioned the guys who have been involved in the low impedance OTL preamp project at various times wanted to hear a few of the variants we had around to get a point of reference, so that was something else we squoze into the short time we had. The complexity of my multi amp setup makes it pretty daunting to reconfigure stuff to run a standard one-amp-per-channel setup, as everything is wired for different impedances and it takes a while just to figure how to disconnect and re-rig everything, and then a while to get it back together the right way. But I'm sure we will get a chance to try the Nagas with Paramounts in the near future.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 07:13:09 AM
Dan, That's what I figured, but thanks for the confirmation.  Obviously there's no rush here.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline xcortes

Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 04:51:35 PM
Clark, since you're a Feastrex distributor, can you tell us more about these drivers? Specifically, since your Fostex designs have had such good reviews here, what do you get more with the Feastrexes? I'm referring to the "entry level" models both with permanent magnets and field coils (I love field coils, you know?).

Also, do you think a small minimonitor/sub system such as that around your Orcas (or the Sexy speakers which seem to be of the same family not only because of the drivers but because of the philosophy as well) would be a good idea with these drivers?

thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 04:29:56 PM
Xcortes,

I'm so sorry I did not see your post until now.  By some bizarre glitch in my browser cache it held an old page and I was wondering today if there had been any posts recently.  Went out and then back into the forum and here was your post!

So indeed, the Feastrex drivers really are the cat's meow.  The permendur field coils especially, Teramoto-san and Akiyama-san describe them jokingly, but effectively as "drugs without the delivery."  

I'll mention up front, however, that I'm also not sure if they've ever truly shown well at audio shows in the US as nicely as I heard them in Japan.  They can't be hurried.  Often times, the drivers at the shows had only a few hours on them.  (except for the Lotus group's "Granada" which received rave reviews).  

My Oniyanma design is awesome, but I never got the chance to take it around the circuit of audio shows.  One time I got the chance, family matters intervened.  By now, I am ready to push the design (and envelope) further and am actually selling the original Oniyanma enclosures to help finance the next generation of RnD work to be done.

Over the course of my involvement with the drivers, I have heard Feastrexes in hundreds of settings and I've also heard (and built parts for) every model in their production line while I was an apprentice of theirs, including my own pair of drivers built from start to finish at the end of the apprenticeship.  It was a true honor to work with those guys. 

There are some idiosyncracies to the way one designs for these drivers, however.  In some manners, they sound better in a cardboard box than a back loaded horn, (in my opinion).  They have so much energy that to try to contain it is foolish.  They'll make you hear deeper into the inner purities or impurities of the cabinet materials, to a degree no other driver has for me.  (I've even owned a pair of the FE208ES-R).  Feastrex, by comparison, makes deep excitation of the cabinet.  It also "leaps" its sound into the room like none other.  And so this is why it is a bad idea to tune them very low (and into the higher energy domain of cabinet wall excitation).    Mr. Teramoto used to say that "If I was so interested in getting bass out of them, then concrete is a good option.  Silly Americans..."  But I (and Feastrex) like the tonality of wood, and especially the way that the Feastrex drivers positively interact with it when everything is truly done well.

I've never used the Oniyanmas with subs, but the next generation I will most likely explore some subwoofer options.  Getting their best requires a similar approach to the way I tune my Orcas (to not stress out the full range driver by tuning it too low).  Basically, in light of them not being advisable to be tuned super low, then indeed, some subs (20-60hz) would be awesome.  Rythmik servos would be good, as would some nice field coil or alnico 15" woofers.  GPA, Kilimanjaro, Goto, options as well.

Also, it is important especially to cut, clamp and assemble the cabinet with utmost respect to acheive a destressed cabinet environment.  To do so requires prolonged processes on the tooling, run carefully, slowly, and "dead nuts on" (which among cabinet makers is a technical term ;)   But yeah, definitely respectful to the requirements of every step to achieve good sound.  To do any less is to blatantly disrespect the effort put into the drivers themselves.

In regards to the next generation of Feastrex cabinets being released, I'll mention that I do have something pretty exciting planned, but it will be into the new year before it is formally released...

Best,

Clark
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:18:58 AM by Clark B. »

Offline xcortes

Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 09:11:11 AM
Thanks Clark.

Sounds awesome (no pun intended)!

Keep us posted on your developments. I've done some crazy and financially-devastating audio "investments" during the past months but I'll keep an eye on these speakers for the future.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:04 AM
Hi all,

I've been meaning to put up photos from the party Dan and I threw a few weeks back.  It was a blast. 

However, until my camera battery is charged and I get some time out of the shop finishing orders, I only had time to put up a few teasers on my website's home page...Happy 2012!

-Clark

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 09:47:33 AM
I put up some party pics on the Bottlehead Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bottlehead-Corp/112709328764825

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fa5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-snc7%2F389856_289056531130103_112709328764825_812283_1283051187_n.jpg&hash=727907556ee33dd3138f03aa96ce9efce2e4696a)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 03:50:25 PM
Time for a long overdue update on my Nagas...

Well, today, for the first time in my home, the Nagas came to life in a system that was about as new as one can get -- basically everything from the circuit breaker in the electrical panel to the speakers was brand new except that the speakers have had some time on them before they were shipped to me, and my Virtue Piano CDP has plenty of time on it -- everything else, amp, cabling, rack, was all new and thus my expectations were fairly low...

Man was I wrong!  even though the Nagas are running at their full range (rolling off below 150 hz) and no subs connected yet, I heard some of the most satisfying and incridible music I've ever heard.  Folks, these are some beautiful speakers -- and don't let those 3" drivers fool you into thinking these are shrill, honky, thin speakers -- they are not.  They are warm, full, detailed, sound superb on all those difficult things such as pianos, female vocals, mass strings, etc. -- no trace of glare, nasties, resonances or shout anywhere and even without the subs, a very listenable and satisfying bass register.

Even quick and dirty first guess placement got me a huge coherent wall of sound in which I could not locate the drivers -- that in itself is amazing as it can usually take me weeks or months offine adjustments to get previous systems to that state.

Now as I bring the better sources online and things get more time on them, I'm sure this system is going to easily be the best I've ever had and right up there with the best I've heard.d and one of the best I've heard anywhere from a musical enjoyment perspective.

No regrets here and to prove it, there are a pair of Orcas en route to me now, and I just sent in payment for a second set of BUF subs -- this for my living room system.

Fan-tastic!

More as things progress...

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 01:27:26 AM
Wow, what a great treat for your first listen, Jim!  Congrats on the new system....

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 05:53:01 AM
That's great to hear! As the guy who talked you into them I was concerned since everyone has different taste in speakers. I agree with your description. The imaging from those "virtual point sources" is really impressive. They make my big old multiway system sound a little vague by comparison. I think vocals sound very real out of the Nagas too.

Clark has recently updated the Orcas after we talked a bit about the differences in sound between the two speakers and he says that they are now very close to the Nagas sonically. We're rearranging things at BHQ in conjunction with our flood recovery (which is taking forf***ingever, still bare sheetrock and no carpet in the hallway). Eileen has moved to the lobby area and the headphone listening station will be in the corner office with me. We will have a rig with some of Clark's speakers and a Stereomour playing in Eileen's room.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:55 AM
John,

Thanks much, and also for that introduction to Mike -- sent the deposit into him and in a few weeks there will be some nice Sappele platforms for the speakers and subs on the way.

Dan, well, I do trust your ears :-).

Yes, my Orcas are the new design and in caramelized 'boo too and after hearing the Nagas, I can't wait to give the little guys a listen too.  And if the Nagas sans subs sound as good as they do, the Orcas on their own are probably going to be very satisfying as well.

Now where's that dac? :-)  JK, I know it's coming.

Thanks again for publishing your thoughts on the first listen at your place -- I had just started my search for some new speakers and the timing and your comments were in the right place at the right time and after checking out Clark's web site and emailing and talking with him, the deal was done... and they came in right at what I had intended to spend on new speakers, so everything just came together so perfectly.

Thanks again,

Jim

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:13 AM
Wow, Jim.  I'm so deeply honored by your comments!  It is great to own a woodshop in America, great to be building speakers, but oh how entirely those niceties are dwarfed by knowing of your whole hearted satisfaction and reaffirming that from the bottom of our hearts, we are proliferating beauty.

More to come soon, still slammin' to get the shop caught up after my move. 

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:09 PM
Clark,

I only tell it as I "see it" :-).  Beauty is far more than skin deep with these speakers.

Ok, another brief status update --  sometimes one gets caught up in the excitement of the moment and can tend to blow things out of proportion when it comes to first impressions, however...

I had a couple of busy days in which I had zero time to listen, and then last night it was driving me a bit nuts wondering if my first impressions were, let's say, a bit over the top?  Well, I only had a short time -- about 30 minutes to listen again, and I'm glad to report that if anything I may have understated some of the magic of this setup.

There have been many, many times when I've gone back for a second listen a day or two after my first listen to a new piece of gear/speakers, tubes, etc., and havve been taken somewhat aback and felt a little let down with the reality of the situation -- not at all with these speakers.

Anyway, in another update, the Orcas arrived today and I just unpacked them -- again, exceptionally beautiful to look at and feel, nice clean lines, and what I think 8is a new finish that is very smooth -- moreso than the Nagas -- but it could just be my imagination -- I'll have to get them side by side to confirm that.  Linda gave an immediate two thumbs up and said they were stunningly beautiful.  Unfortunately, I just don't have the energy to take them down to the basement and hook them up in place of the Nagas today, but hopefully tomorrow, so no listening impressions right now.  I'm looking forward to it, I can tell you that much!

-- Jim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:35 AM
Clark and Molly came over last night, and brought the latest version of the Orcas, in carmelized bamboo. These have a front mounted driver like the Naga. This smooths out a wee bit of midrange prominence that the previous behind the baffle driver mount version had. We hooked them up to the server via the 300B preamp, and drove them with a S.E.X. amp.

I continue to be amazed by what these tiny little speakers can do. The soundstage they present is amazing and the lower midrange of the 300B preamp came through beautifully.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 09:49:36 AM
Dan,

Yes, got mine hooked up in the listening room for a couple hours on Sunday and again, very impressive -- though it is clear they need more time on them to open up fully to where the Nagas are.

Of course I didn't know the old version had the drivers behind the baffle so I thought that's just how they were.  I did notice the back is not removable now -- just the terminal cup.

Even as they are, they really dont do any of the nasties so many other SD speakers I've owned have when new, so that in itself is a good sign of what's to come.

I just sold the old speakers in the living room system, so now when the buf subs arrive, we'll be good to go.

-- Jim