An alternate 36v supply... (9v are sooo expensive!)

matthewmckay · 17240

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 05:03:20 AM

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:26 AM
Why not one of these? http://www.recycled-parts.com/Drop-off-Centers-/Metal-/Gold-/36-volt-deka-forklift-battery-18-D125-17-173F-fork-lift.cgi

Cheers,
Shawn

It would last forever but you need a ventilator fan above them when charging.  The charger requires three phase service too!  So if you have vent fans in your listening room, a floor that will support 1000 pounds and a 3 phase charger in there too, you are set up.  Otherwise, it is a bad selection.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:41:54 PM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 12:53:00 PM
Hmmm, three phase for my new  quickie. What could go wrong(yes, another attempt at off humor). Or maybe the wife would agree to a pedal powered charger( you KNOW where I'm going with this). Looks like I will have to look around my old papers and see what the other batt powered preamp I used to own used. I remember that the charger did it's thing when the amp was turned off.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:08 PM
Check page 1.  I think the SLA batteries and a good charger are a viable option.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 07:38:24 PM
Or maybe the wife would agree to a pedal powered charger( you KNOW where I'm going with this).

Greg, I hope you were not suggesting that the wife would be doing the pedaling while you listen.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

4krow

Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 02:29:07 AM
Well who else is there? The kids all left at 15 to seek a more gentle life in the military!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 05:20:12 AM
Since we are back on the Quickie battery discussion, I have been doing a little experimenting with different voltages. 62V Lipo, 36V Lipo, 30V NiMh. I had thought at one time that the 62V sounded somewhat (very small amount) better in terms of definition/resolution. Now I think the 30V sounds the best. Not as forward, more 'laid back', less fatigue. I think that may be due to distortion. It appears that distortion in the 3s4 increases with voltage. Here is the data sheet.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:37 AM
Still don't have the Quickie kit yet, but I do have some Li 9v batts on order. Hope it works out good. Seems that somewhere here someone mentioned batteries having different resistances (per cell?) to 'leg go' of current. Faster is better, I'm guessing. I will also be using dual mono (coarse and fine) volume controls, freak that I am about control.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 02:39:46 PM
Greg - I could get into dual mono controls. Honestly I feel there would be a very real use for them, beyond pure paranoia etc. I frequently 'think' that one channel is louder than the other. I can easily move the MMG's an inch or two forward or back to compensate. I bring them 'out' to listen anyway. I wouldnt be able to do that with 150lb speakers. The 3s4's are rarely matched.

Eric

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:49 PM
Eric, you need one of the speaker test systems with the dual mics, then you could really be obsessed with channel seperation. You should should see me set up a cartridge on a TT, the azimuth and I have a real love hate relationship, I actually considered buying a Fosgometer or whatever they call it for as much as an entry level TT, thankfully I was able to convince myself to just let go...

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 01:22:26 PM
Shawn thats hilarious! I always feel better when I read your posts. I guess misery loves company.

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 01:42:21 PM
Eric, you need one of the speaker test systems with the dual mics, then you could really be obsessed with channel seperation. You should should see me set up a cartridge on a TT, the azimuth and I have a real love hate relationship, I actually considered buying a Fosgometer or whatever they call it for as much as an entry level TT, thankfully I was able to convince myself to just let go...

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn,

Look at this thread for a dead on way to adjust anti-skating and azimuth.  You should do azimuth first.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,878.0.html

This is exactly what the Fosgometer does.  Read the manual and it pretty much says so.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:41:47 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 09:54:30 PM
Grainger, I think the supermassive black hole at the center of the forum ate your link. It has eaten some of my posts from time to time. Seriously, I think I have read the thread you are referring to. Actually I have had really good results using the Best Tractor from Mint LP. They are made custom for a particular turntable, tonearm combination. So the geometry is precise. I use a digital pathology microscope I picked up used, and use refraction to set up the azimuth. Using this method you adjust based on stylus position and not the cartridge body. It is tedious, but quite effective.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:58 AM
Shawn,

You're going to have to bring that set of goodies up here once Mr. Riggle gets done with my TT. :-)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)