Hmmmmm....

Doc B. · 11556

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:22 AM
This just showed up at Bottleheadquarters. Now what do you suppose that might be going into?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:50 AM
Thats easy ... geetar amp :-)  Im assuming a replacement in a combo?  Or maybe building something custom?

Desmond G.

Offline Yoder

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:52 AM
Definitely a guitar amp with MIDI plug-in, and multi-effects capabilities. Any plans for including a reverb tank? I look forward to it. My Rivera Suprema 55 is a beast at 75 pounds.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:06:17 AM
Wish I had something vintage and/or really sweet.  Only thing that I have that is vintage is an old Kalamazoo Bass 30.  Beat to hell but it works.  Actually not bad for guitar with a pedal in front of it ... just for messing around anyway.

Desmond G.

Offline ironbut

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:43 AM
I'm guessing a Leslie?
Or maybe the Schmalle version of a "rotating" speaker sound?

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:44 AM
Thats easy ... geetar amp :-)  Im assuming a replacement in a combo?  Or maybe building something custom?

Getting warm. It's for a prototype small combo/practice amp. After a few years of head scratching I finally came up with a kit concept I like that also fits our design sensibility. It's somewhat unconventional in terms of circuit and construction - perhaps more Vox-like than Fenderish or Marshally. Of course anything that isn't a Champ clone is considered unconventional, like we need another Champ clone in the world. We have yet to see if it sounds any good, so it's strictly in the POC realm for now.

A few talking points about this project -
8" Weber speaker (obviously). Haven't tried the Webers, but their reputation is excellent. And this one will fit in the rather interesting cabinet I want to try
EL84 SE output - it's a great sounding tube that guitar players can relate to
EF86 input - another great sounding tube that keeps it very simple to build
simple tone stack and volume controls - ditto the simple build
auxiliary speaker output for that 4X12 cabinet you have in the basement - I have a smaller combo amp with an 8 that I leave plugged into a 12. It's very nice to have that option.
headphone output for quiet practice - does that mean we have another headphone amp? I guess so. PB says we need to make an iPod dock for it. I have other priorities.

We should know in a week or two if the idea is going to fly or if it ends up in the incubator with the ribbon headphone and other long term projects.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:09:13 PM
Cool, maybe I will have a chance to get, or better yet build, that sweet amp.   

Desmond G.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:28 PM
Doc, love the use of an EF86 as the driver. In fact, I've often wondered why more guitar amp builders don't do that - seems like a 12AX7 driver is much more common. Your project sounds similar to something I want to put together for headphone use - a single-ended EL84 with a pentode driver for a cleaner and more brilliant tone. I find a lot of 12AX7 front-ends to sound rather predictable; what an overrated input tube!

Here's hoping this ends up as a released product - I'd buy it :-)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:09:50 PM

Well, we hope it will be sweet. ;^)>

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:41:15 PM
Initial impression of the Weber driver driven by my Electar 10 in open air is very positive. Very responsive and gets nice and crunchy when pushed. Stock speaker in the Electar is rather bassy and flubby, at least it is in the closed cabinet. I had trouble getting a good overdrive sound with a low output Teisco single coil into the stock speaker, but the Weber gets a nice bluesy growl on chords and yet gives a nice clean sound playing slide on the first string with that p'up. It can really dig into the mud with a 335. Hopefully we can maintain some of that feel at half the power with the EL84 (the Electar uses a 6L6 SE)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:17:28 PM
I was going to say, maybe in a new kit... very exciting...

Offline Laudanum

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:35:35 AM

Well, we hope it will be sweet. ;^)>

Yeah, I said in another reply that I wish that I had a sweet amp.  Just looking at this as a possible chance to have one.  I know it's just in the possibility stage.

Desmond G.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:25:08 AM
...I've often wondered why more guitar amp builders don't do that...
Microphonics.  I like the sound of the EF86 but I've heard they can be noisy in a combo played at loud volumes and overdriven. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:12 AM
You have my attention! Keep the updates coming, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 05:25:28 AM
...I've often wondered why more guitar amp builders don't do that...
Microphonics.  I like the sound of the EF86 but I've heard they can be noisy in a combo played at loud volumes and overdriven.  

Could be. But I can't say for sure unless I try it. We do have a reasonable amount of experience with the EF86. Luckily The EHs don't seem to have too much of a problem with it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:38:45 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.