Hmmmmm....

Doc B. · 11549

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 09:11:48 AM
I like the EF86 sound.  A friend had a Vox-ish amp using EF86 preamp with a 12AX7 Phase Inverter and 2 EL84's.  Great sounding amp.  Different from the 12AX7 pre, 12AX7 PI, EL84 output amp I have (which I like as well), but there is something great about the EF86. 

I recently swapped out my Celestion Vintage 30 for an Eminence Red Fang.  I like the sound, but originally the Red Fang was in a closed back cabinet.  I gotta admit, I liked it better in the closed back as opposed to the open baffle.  I'm thinking of swapping the V30 back in and building a cab for the Fang. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline vladimirwolfe

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:24 AM
Sounds like a great project Doc. Looking forward to hearing more about it and more importantly, being able to order one! Sounds like it would be a nice addition to my '59 Harvard and '65 Deluxe.

Doug

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:54:45 AM
Sent the driver over to PB yesterday. Hopefully that's the last piece he needs to construct the prototype.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:57 PM
We've had a busy few days, and this is the end result -

Thanks to PB for cranking this proto out in a couple of days, and to Bob Bean for driving.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:09:08 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 03:59:49 PM
The Penned Toad pun just seals the deal.

Nice sound.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 05:10:33 PM
Thanks for the complement. We shot that with a little Fuji point and shoot I bought for Eileen a couple years ago. Fairly decent sound for a mic that peeks thru a hole the size of a flea's ear canal. When (well, if) we get a production prototype done I might take it down to the studio and record it properly. Speaking of demo videos, I was looking at the TV Jones demos today. Tom lives a mile or two away from me. His pickups are awesome and man, that cat can play.

I love this one. I think that UPS guy is Bob, who delivered to us at our house for something like 15 years.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 05:28:38 AM
...When (well, if) we get a production prototype done I might take it down to the studio and record it properly.

I don't think "might" is an option.  You "must" if you want to compete with all the other boutique amp builders out there.  Also, I would suggest getting an array of guitars to record with, Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Gretsch (w/TV Jones).  Finally, find a player that can play the same progression/lick consistently from sample to sample so people can hear exactly how the amp sounds with which guitar.  Actually, the TV Jones site does this nicely with their pickups.

http://www.tvjones.com/soundclips/

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 06:13:47 AM

I don't think "might" is an option.  You "must" if you want to compete with all the other boutique amp builders out there.  

Ah hah! But the buyer is the boutique amp builder in our case! ;^)>

I agree that it is necessary to get a very concise player to play consistently with various axes and styles. Kudos to Bob, who is actually an acoustic player, for getting all the different tones he got out of something we had zero experience with beyond a somewhat beer induced session the night before. I have a demo player or two in mind, it will be interesting to see how that pans out. But first things first. We found 1) that the bass control was working outside a useful range and 2) that the thing plays pretty darned loud. I don't think the volume is ever past about 6 on the demo. So the next iteration will have a brake in place of the bass knob. This will make it a lot easier to practice with and to make it crunchy when using the headphone jack. I also have a few adjustments to the cabinet styling in mind.

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:49:48 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 07:25:19 AM
I think it's a great idea to have sound samples with different guitars, but, depending on price point, it might not be that big of a deal. If you show case some good tones through a couple guitars, that will get most folks interest including mine (the video was almost enough for me). Bottlehead has a strong reputation for cranking out killer gear in my mind, and I can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm almost more excited to see how this community starts tweaking it. Adjustments to the tone stack, swapping in new tubes, trying different capacitors , and getting the amp tweaked specifically for jazz, rock, country or whatever. The brake is a fabulous idea, and really important to me, a home player. Keep the sneak peaks coming, and I'm sure I'll be in line with a bunch of others for that first run. I should be done building my Crack by then.   

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:27 AM
The demo got Cat Scratch Fever stuck in my mind for hours.  And I've got it again.

I think this product will not only make it but will expose a new group to Bottlehead products.

Congratulations!

Offline ironbut

Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 01:48:09 PM
Very cool you guys!
Looking forward to hearing what it can do for stuff like jazz.
Keep up the great work Dan!

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 01:58:03 PM
It sounds nice played clean, but it's all pentode (penned toad) and has a nice bite, so it may be more of a rock/blues/chicken pickin kind of amp than a round toned jazz amp. I'm sure people will want to mod it all over the place so who knows what tones they might end up with?  

For jazz I built the amp you hear in this clip. It's quite different, 12AX7 and 6V6, parafeed, 10" Eminence alnico driver. Guitar is an Epi Joe Pass with Kent Armstrong neck pup and, IIRC, Thomastik strings-

http://jacquinaylor.com/media/mp3/lucky-girl/09-sunshine-and-rain.mp3
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:22:39 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 02:07:23 PM
Ooo,.. that sounds sweet!
If I decide to pick up an ax again, we'll need to talk!

steve koto

Offline Chris

Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 07:42:56 PM
"I think this product will not only make it but will expose a new group to Bottlehead products."

Congratulations!.......................... I second this...

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08:25 AM
I can second the quality of Tom's pickups. I've had a pair of the TV Classic in my Gibson SG for a few years now and I couldn't be happier. I wanna build another guitar and give it either some coil-tapped Classic Plus' for versatility or just straight P90 single coils.

On the sound, I love the clarity I can get from them. The PAF clones that came in the guitar were muddy and thick (like they should be), but I found I got lost in the sound of any band I was playing in. These have a really tight bass and cut through a mix, and even with the dirtiest amp you can get a great clean tone just by picking softly or rolling the guitars volume down a little. Anyway, just my two cents.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp