Straight Out Of The Wall

lextek · 10555

Offline lextek

on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:11 PM
If I don't use any kind of power conditioner, plain ole socket.  Would there be a worthwile gain from the cord kit?  If not how about some recomendations for "economical" power conditioners.

Bob Lasky

Offline mchurch

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:03 PM
I am no expert on power conditioners but I did upgrade my Foreplay and Paramounts with the power cord kits and it was worth every penny. I can't put the improvement to words but they just sound better. When I built the first kit I changed one Paramount and ran the pair with one of each and the sound was definitely better on the side with the new cord. I live in an apartment where I should use power conditioning but I haven't gone that route yet. With the cords in place I am a happy camper for now.

Cheers

Offline lextek

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:34:23 PM
Thanks

Bob Lasky

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:13:10 PM
The first power upgrade I ever did was an improved power cord.  I heard the difference and it stayed.

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:29:49 PM
yessir,  i have two,  one for the sex amp and one for the extended foreplay, and they are better sounding than the two ps audio statement cords i had bought (used) on audiogon.  wonderful stuff!!  don

Offline lextek

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:41:50 PM
Dang!

Bob Lasky

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:45:48 AM
yessir,  i have two,  one for the sex amp and one for the extended foreplay, and they are better sounding than the two ps audio statement cords i had bought (used) on audiogon.  wonderful stuff!!  don

Now you are going to make me buy more.  I'll need one to feed the P300 that feeds my system.

Offline howardnair

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:51:16 PM
someone gave me a expensive name brand power station-so i opened it up-inside we find-a potted choke-i could not open that without damaging it--doing some measuring and math-it appears to be about 29 henrys so make that 30 henrys--this is across a pair of hospital grade outlets or hubbards or something along those lines-across the ac line is a  flat safety cap-i did not open the heat shrink that covered it-so making some  assumptions
a hammond 195P10 choke [30 henrys 10 amps ] $92.97 --a pair of hospital grade outlets $13.00 each-a safety cap $2.00 ???
a switch and a light to let you know it is on $10.00-a enclosure $30 to $50-lets say $175 for easy math
what i have is about $1200.00-i have not used this unit yet- it is not needed here at the moment-i am not really certain what running ac through a choke will do or is supposed to do-after i post this i will do some reading on the subject

Offline coca

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 02:25:30 PM
Bob, I have for many years been building power cords. I have checked Doc's method of building his power cord, and I will go out on a limb to say that If you are replacing a standard $3.00 power cord that comes with most audio components, Doc's power cord will be a big improvement right out of the wall. I won't get into any theories here.
There is one other thing that can make it better, and that is to have an electrician upgrade the wall receptacle. Yes, you can break the bank when purchasing some wall receptacles. I have done a lot of research on the make up of these devices, and the one I would strongly recomend is by Pass &Seymour. Part# 5252-icn. These are uaually the only ones I use with great sucess. I have no financial interest in this company.

Bernie.                   

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:32:25 PM
howardnair,

The OP asked about power cords.  The power "conditioner" thread is a whole 'nother animal altogether.  You should start one.  I have heard some that work and some that just cost.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:16:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:45:32 PM
For a good economical DIY conditioner, try the Felicia. You can find over at AC, in the lab...John   

John Scanlon

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:31 PM
I got the power cord kit with the crack, very happy with it. I have a PS audio I bought used some time ago $250.00 new, and it is no better. Also it has no right angle connector and is stiff as hell, don't even use it anymore. Try not to go too far off topic, but you did ask. I have crappy power, I think they use a bunch of mice in treadmills. I ended up installing a dedicated line, and I bought a PS audio regenerator, expensive, but for me worth it.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Chris

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:23:48 PM
Thanks for that, Coca...

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 04:54:02 AM
I agree with Bernie -- a wall outlet upgrade can be a substantial improvement.  I have a couple of the outlets he mentions in my Pi Audio Rev B. Buss and they seem to be just fine.  I also really like the Jena Labs cryoed 20 amp outlets (and yes, you can use these on a 15 amp circuit and with 15 amp male plugs).  These are $50 each and easily beat the pants off both the cryoed Oyaide SWO-XXX and SWO-GX outlets I have (and will soon be selling off.)  A little dab of the Jena Labs contact enhancer (non-conductive) on the plug (and even when installing the outlets) will probably knock your socks off.

BTW, I don't use a power conditioner in my listening room -- dedicated 20 amp circuit, a pair of the Jena Labs outlets, and basically stock power cords (inexpensive), and the system is the cleanest I've ever had.

I now use the Pi Buss in the living room system as that is on the oriiginal house wiring which has all kinds of other stuff on it, and there it does a wonderful job.

I will use my BH power cord with my stereomour and will probably build a few others for my other BH pieces.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:30 AM
If I don't use any kind of power conditioner, plain ole socket.  Would there be a worthwile gain from the cord kit?  If not how about some recommendations for "economical" power conditioners.

The answer to the first question is "Yes!" power cords can make a very positive improvement.  And the first thing to upgrade after your power cords is your outlet (hospital grade are ~$10).  A good Hubbell dead front plug and a Hospital grade outlet you will see how grippy the pair are for much cheaper than many others.  If you like it go big!

Then there are a whole sea of power "conditioners."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:18:19 PM by Grainger49 »