Enough power for 600 ohm cans?

tdogzthmn · 5426

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:17 PM
I know the Crack is more suited towards the higher impedance cans but I'm hoping the Smack on its 128ohm setting has enough voltage swing to do a proper job with my 600 ohm AKG's which have a sensitivity of 88 db, and max input power of 200 mW.  My other cans should be easier to power and I'm sure the Smack won't have trouble with them.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22:17 AM
It should easily make 50mW into 600 ohms. By my calculation, that's 105dB in each ear. For comparison, THX movie theaters are rated for 105dB with both channels operating.

That should be adequate, unless you have some serious hearing loss - or want to acquire it!  :^) 

The SEX amp at the 32 ohm setting would give 100mW (108dB each ear). With the Smack transformer, the SEX could make 400mW into a 600 ohm load at the 128 ohm setting - that's not a standard offering, you'd have to consult Doc B about the substitution. It's not quite as refined a sound as the Smack, and of course you can't drive speakers unless they are 16 ohms or higher - but it is the high power option.

Paul Joppa

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:34:22 AM
Thanks for the quick calculations Paul. It don't think I'll need the 400mW of power for the sake of my ears. My current amp throws out quite a bit of power at the +20 gain setting, however even though I get a good level of volume the sound comes across as being hollow and bit thin. My HD600s on the other hand sound like they are being properly driven.