SR45 amplifier

debk · 104622

Offline debk

Reply #360 on: October 19, 2013, 06:31:59 AM
What is the effect of removing the cathode bypass capacitor?

How low a value can be used?  The schematic calls for 100uf

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline johnsonad

Reply #361 on: October 19, 2013, 06:35:31 AM
Doesn't the PF design significantly minimize the effect of the PS cap on the sound, effectively shifting the effect of the last PS cap to the PF cap? For that reason I'm sticking with lytics in the PS and the sheer size of the caps.

In my build I focused on the PS ripple instead of the make up of the cap and with a CLC dropped it from 0.1V to around 0.4mV in sims.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,4953.0.html

Aaron Johnson

Offline Matts

Reply #362 on: October 19, 2013, 07:58:13 AM
take this with a large grain of salt- based on a foggy memory 10yrs old-  but I think I went with a large good-quality electrolytic for cathode bypass in my Paramours.  350or 450uF, or something like that.   I think I calculated at the time that this effectively took it out of the circuit, because it never really got enough of a charge to activate it, but it served as a "holding tank" or a spring for the charges that did come in, but they dissipated inside it. 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #363 on: October 19, 2013, 08:33:29 AM
In the midband (i.e. where the plate choke impedance is large relative to the tube's plate resistance) and with the output transformer connected to the cathode, the power supply and cathode bypass caps are out of the signal current loop. However, the choke impedance is no longer large in the deep bass, so some signal current does flow through the two caps. For this reason, the cathode bypass cap does improve the deep bass response - but is not necessary in a tweeter amp, and is also optional if the plate choke is really huge.

For example - 45 plate resistance is 1700 ohms. With a mu of 3.5 and a cathode resistor of 1500 ohms, the plate resistance of the tube plus unbypassed cap is (if I remember the formula right) 5450, or 3.2 times the resistance with a bypassed resistor. So if a 40-henry choke is used with the capacitor, then you'd get the same bass extension with a 128 henry plate choke and unbypassed resistor.

Paul Joppa

Offline debk

Reply #364 on: October 19, 2013, 01:47:40 PM
I did an experiment and paralleled the 100uf cathode bypass capacitor with a 0.68uf Auricap.  I picked the value because I happened to have a couple of them sitting around.
I didn't like it at all.  The sound sounded smeared, especially with vocals.  Was the paralleled capacitor causing a phase issue?
I removed 0.68uf and the sound was much better with the same material playing.
Interesting experiment, I don't know if the results would be the same with different value parallel capacitors.

On one hand I am very happy with the sound of the amps as they are now, but on the other hand it is a lot of fun and educational to experiment.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #365 on: October 19, 2013, 02:19:20 PM
I an not using a cathode bypass cap, My speakers are not the last word in deep bass...John

John S.

Offline debk

Reply #366 on: October 19, 2013, 02:32:00 PM
Will removing the cathode bypass capacitor cause a decrease in gain?

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #367 on: October 20, 2013, 02:12:17 AM
I was told years and years ago that the cathode bypass cap adds gain. 

I believe this is because it changes the audio path to ground.  Bottlehead hasn't used a cathode bypass cap in any of the Foreplay preamps nor the Seduction and Eros (and probably not Reduction).  I think there might be one in the Quickie.  Might not.  I'm not as familiar with it.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #368 on: October 20, 2013, 10:19:00 AM
In the midband (i.e. where the plate choke impedance is large relative to the tube's plate resistance) and with the output transformer connected to the cathode, the power supply and cathode bypass caps are out of the signal current loop. However, the choke impedance is no longer large in the deep bass, so some signal current does flow through the two caps. For this reason, the cathode bypass cap does improve the deep bass response - but is not necessary in a tweeter amp, and is also optional if the plate choke is really huge.

So PJ, a similar line of thought and a question. I plan on using a pair of 300b amps for 80Hz and up (drivers have little below 70 Hz). 5k OPT primary, 1500 Ohm cathode resistor, 80 H plate choke. Can I get away without a bypass capacitor and have quality bass that low?

Aaron Johnson

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #369 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:58 AM
I bent the leads into little "J" hooks and was hot swapping a 100uf cap in and out and no there was no apparent reduction of gain...John

Of course I could not recommend this  ;)...John 

John S.

Offline xcortes

Reply #370 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:48 AM
Last time i did that It was with the parafeed cap. The HT arced into my hand and i enjoyed 400+ volts. Ugliest "audio" experience.

Xavier Cortes

Offline debk

Reply #371 on: October 20, 2013, 11:54:22 AM
I bent the leads into little "J" hooks and was hot swapping a 100uf cap in and out and no there was no apparent reduction of gain...John

Of course I could not recommend this  ;)...John

What differences in the sound did you hear

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #372 on: October 20, 2013, 02:39:48 PM
I mostly use Hornshoppe Horns, they only go down to 60-70hz or so, then I go to a pair of subs. So I can't say about the deepest bass but all in all I think the upper end is a bit better without them...John 

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #373 on: October 20, 2013, 02:50:54 PM
One last suggestion.  Try a well broken in KK Teflon cap as a cathode bypass, bypass.  Still just use jumpers.  I have done this in my Paramours and my Ack! dAck!.  Those stayed in.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #374 on: October 20, 2013, 07:53:07 PM
I bypassed the 220uf cathode cap with a 2.2uf K75, (mylar, oiled paper,aluminum foil), in my Paramour 45's, EXO-45, BCP-15's.  They are staying in. The bypass removed a level of grain and grunge that just made the amps cleaner with truer timbre.

Hard to imagine a bypass quality cap, in this application, making the sonic's worse.

Of course, YMMV...

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's