O/T: Higgs boson found today?

Jim R. · 4845

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 05:08:40 AM
Can't have her.  I know she is a keeper.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:41 PM
At a 115db I bet the conversation goes something like this...

"What?"

"What?"

"Turn it down"

"What?"

"Wait let me turn it down"

"What?"

;)...John

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 02:16:21 AM
There are no conversations, you just point.  It requires ear plugs and muffs. You are not to work for over 1/2 hour in the area without leaving for 10 minutes.  It was a compressor room with four 1750 Hp medium voltage motors running single stage air compressors for process air in a non-woven mill.

Offline John Roman

Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 03:18:25 PM
1750 hp? Something that big turning single stage would generate some serious thump. What an environment to deal with! A company I used to be associated with handled a "Joy centrifugal" air compressor used in large natural gas power plants.  It generated oil free air, was run non stop (zero maintenance) from initial start until taken off line. At approximately 10,000 hp it was installed in it's own building that was specifically designed for the equipment. A truly awesome piece of equipment to see and hear running.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 12:54:32 AM
Joy is well known to K-C.  They are used extensively in Wisconsin.  But not as big as 10,000 Hp.

4krow

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 09:49:37 AM
 I remember working in a factory when I was a kid(6), and they had NO hearing protection!!! I was the first one to put wet tissue in my ears. Sounds were such that you felt higher freq on your clothes. It was wonder that everyone there wasn't deaf.
 I also recall a father of a friend of mine took us to the gas processing plant. Like Grainger says, you wore ear plugs and muffs. So amazingly loud(mostly low freq). The giant building shook from it all.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 07:21:41 PM
I worked in a lab using a ultra-centrifuge (separating proteins).  The amazing thing about is was, that while the Tach read 100,000rpms, all you could hear was the 12V cooling fans running.  I took a stethoscope to the lid and only a heard slight vibration, sounding like bearings.  The service tech came one day and I learned that the spinning chamber and motor ran in a vacuum.  I was a frustrating piece, usually you can hear that something is doing its thing, this thing sounded like it was turned on, but was spinning a motor 100Krpm.   The head was a single piece of machined titanium and the spin chamber was 1/2in armor plate stainless steel, in case the head ever failed. The rep said he had seen video of head fail tests and the whole device danced around a room for quite a while. 
The power supply was also very interesting. The motor had to be fed multi channels out of phase of each other in order to get to 100K rpm. This device is a desk top sized instrument, its amazing all this technology was in there.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:46 AM
My favorite Higgs joke so far -

"The Higgs Boson walks into a Catholic Church. Priest says "What are you doing here?" HB says "You can't have mass without me."

The next day, a Neutrino walked into the Catholic Church...  then walks out disappointed.  Why?

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 05:59:49 AM
STRUMJ,

Is that video of the centrifuge dancing around the room on You-tube?

David, I'm going to guess a neutrino has no mass?  We didn't study neutrinos in the 50s and 60s (grade school and high school).

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 12:53:44 PM

The next day, a Neutrino walked into the Catholic Church...  then walks out disappointed.  Why?

When he saw what was supposed to be the 'transubstantiation' he yelled out "HEY, thats my move!"

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:58 PM
Sturmj,

We had a similar device at the plasma physics lab -- a 100,000k rotating device that held two thin plates with slightly offset nanoholes in it.  This one was in a vacuum too and was magnetically suspended.  The instrument was meant to allow one single electron to go through the nanoholes at a time into a detector to measure it's velocity.  This told somebody something important about what was going on inside that plasma, but I have no idea what. :-)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 04:33:44 AM
"This told somebody something important about what was going on, but I have no idea what. :-)"

I get that a lot in my line of work ;D...John

John Scanlon

Offline STURMJ

Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 07:25:32 AM
The dancing centrifuge discussion was way before you-tube, and slightly before widespread internet access.  I never looked (maybe I will now  ;D). The device was made by Beckman (now Beckman-Coulter). I would guess that these were internal tests to see how dangerous their product would be under failure conditions, thus it's unlikely they would be released publicly. Not that this thing was unsafe, I would rather dodge the whole machine than shrapnel generated by the titanium head (keep in mind that's in a 1/2 armor plate case.) 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 09:03:18 AM
Getting back to Higgs Boson, this means we have seen Warp 1.  I can hear Scotty saying, "Captain, the engines, I don't think they can take it any more!"